Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried to count Pacific crab apple trees. This is the first year for blooms on all those young trees that came up because I let the land heal from the bulldozing of the previous landowner.

Looks like they don't bloom until about a decade old. There are dozens of them that I can get to and many more that I'd either get wet getting there or the other plants make it too much of a hassle.

There are about 10 trees total that I can comfortably haul a ladder to for picking. The rest I'd just pick the lower branches.

Hardknockshomestead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Took Beau and Luke, our little buckling goats, with me to the garden. They were really enjoying themselves! Of course they had to find the asparagus, so I took them back to their pen.

Husband is making raised beds using pallets we got a few weeks ago for free.
So far he's made 4 of them. We're using compost taken over by quack grass so it's slow going. He uses our little tractor to fill the beds and I rake through the dirt and remove grass roots and small rocks and break up clumps of clay. Last year I planted a big garden and the weeds ruined it. What was left, the raccoons and deer got. So we've changed our strategy.

So far I have two 5' by
3 1/2' boxes with potatoes. The other two will be ready for our 12 tomato plants soon.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I got 4 cherry tomatoes, 4 Anaheim peppers, 8 pickling cucumbers, and a 15 foot row of asparagus beans planted.

Even with my low water pressure, the nice oscillating sprinkler I found more than covers the 20 foot width. I'll actually go adjust it narrower to only go from edge to edge later. It covers about 40 feet from end to end but that is adjustable as well.

I need to finish tilling the grassy area that wasn't part of the silkie pens. It's much tougher to till as it doesn't have several inches of built up organic matter on top. I'd let the pen area lay fallow for a year and a half so it was overgrown as well butvit tilled pretty fast and nicely.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
New garden spot for me this year. Limed the top soil and plowed deep at 14", then tilled deep to about 10". The good stuff is still on the bottom rotting away. I hope not to deep for roots to find. I have 4 50' rows of tomatoes and 2 50' rows of bell peppers set and it looks like they are taking. Still got a lot more rows to go, but it's been too wet to get in the garden without my boots becoming like led. I should just jump in with seed in hand, but I might not be able to get back out : 😂 The soil is super soggy and loose. Maybe I should just host a mud wrestling event instead ???🤪

Mud hole after rain.
IMG_20210602_115427345_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Ecclesiastes 11:4-6

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, back to first year plot! Those are some hard spots to convince they will love the new use. I'm on year 2 for the area I'm using. It was pasture for 20 years. Still wants to be! :oops: But not AS bad as last year.....so far. It's was well fertilized, horse manure left for me. This year I'll add clean out from the goat barn. Truly a work in progress.

Glad to see you are gardening again....I was concerned since the new place had so many new projects! :lol: Nothing like playing in the dirt.

I'm hoping I can re-till my area this weekend. Plants to set, transplant, seeds to get in....little late for my area but, it's ok. Season is long here.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I desperately need to finish mulching the garden. At the town dump/compost area, there are some wonderful piles of stable bedding laced with urine, goat hair, goat berries and horse nuggets. I'm thinking those would be a great addition to the walking space between the corn/potato rows. Mush down them weeds and add that bedding!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, back to first year plot! Those are some hard spots to convince they will love the new use. I'm on year 2 for the area I'm using. It was pasture for 20 years. Still wants to be! :oops: But not AS bad as last year.....so far. It's was well fertilized, horse manure left for me. This year I'll add clean out from the goat barn. Truly a work in progress.

Glad to see you are gardening again....I was concerned since the new place had so many new projects! :lol: Nothing like playing in the dirt.

I'm hoping I can re-till my area this weekend. Plants to set, transplant, seeds to get in....little late for my area but, it's ok. Season is long here.
This spot was pasture for decades also. Plowed 14" deep so all the good stuff is on the bottom. I'll eventually mulch in-between the rows with limed deep hay bedding from CCX, Turkey tom, chickens and ducks. Should be good amounts of fertilizer in that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice day for garden work besides the soil being wet. Overcast and nice breeze. I thinned the tomatoes. When I start them inside I leave two per cell and that's what I plant in the garden after hardening off. Most times one makes it but this year a lot of doubles made it so that now makes 6 50' rows of tomatoes.
IMG_20210606_164230836_HDR.jpg

I'll probably get another row of bell peppers also since a lot of pepper doubles made it also. Very surprised with the large amounts of rain we've had that the pepper leaves are dark green, a nice surprise I was expecting light green maybe even yellow leaves. But I guess the soil has good amounts of nitrogen already. I may need to rethink my deep bedding mulch. To much nitrogen and well you know growth explosion with little furiting.
IMG_20210606_154901054_HDR.jpg