CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might be ok re: nitrogen. The leaves don't look overly large. Do you give your seedlings a dose of epsom salt when you set them in the ground?

Not when I set them but after they take hold I do. I'll most likely side dose them with ES when I pull one of the doubles. They are short but they always start off that way so not abnormal. But when it gets hot, they take off... they most definitely like the heat of summer. I don't think we've hit 80 degrees yet. It's still in the 70's and wet.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Anyone ever try Golden Cross Bantam sweet corn? It's all I could find locally. Seed selection was pretty poor at Rural King. I guess I was late to the party 🤣
IMG_20210606_223705025~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gah! I know you weren't talking to me but I totally forgot and I have a brand new bag I bought for planting.
I'm talking to anyone who will listen!!:D

Creal: Golden Bantam is an OP, so has the old fashioned corn flavor. It does not have the "hold tenderness and flavor on the stalk" characteristic, the way the more modern hybrids do, so must be picked at exactly the right time. That being said, I believe it was Ruth Stout who saved seed of Golden Bantam, and selected the best of the best, year after year. Eventually, she wound up with 8" ears on 8' tall stalks. I've long wanted to try Golden Bantam b/c it IS OP. Can't wait to hear what your opinion of it is, after you harvest!

It's gonna hit 95* today. I still have plastic over my pepper and eggplant. It's rolled up on the sides, so... hoping they don't cook under there!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of my onion sets are bolting. When will I ever learn? I hand picked the largest sets from the bulk bin, and invariably, those are the ones that bolt! But, I have some home grown plants that I am working on getting set into the garden. Hope those don't wither in this heat. 90's again today, then back to 60-70's for the next few days.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most of my onion sets are bolting. When will I ever learn? I hand picked the largest sets from the bulk bin, and invariably, those are the ones that bolt! But, I have some home grown plants that I am working on getting set into the garden. Hope those don't wither in this heat. 90's again today, then back to 60-70's for the next few days.
I try and start by seed indoors but seed was hard to come by this year.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I jumped on it very early, last Oct. as soon as it became available
I've been ordering my seed in the fall, for the next season's garden. Often, if I don't order super early, I don't get the varieties I want. I also have a huge stash of older seed, but always order "some" just in case I have poor germination. One of these days, I need to take all of my extra seed and toss it all on the ground. Perhaps use it for a massive green manure plot!

Latest posts