What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pain is no fun, i hope it will moderate for you soon!

never heard of that herb before and won't be able to try it but eventually i may so i'll try to keep it in mind. :)
I am sure hoping so. It might be some type of neorupathy or something because I have not hurt my knee at all and I do have trigeminal neuralgia already. Here is a pic of the cu;lantro that I found on the internet.
culantrovscilantro.jpg
it's hard to work around issues, i have to do that too. sometiimes i garden by using a groundpillow to sit on or use it to kneel on which saves the knees added irritation. ultimately though it helps me a lot to keep moving instead of not so i do what i can and rest the times i can't.
I might try to find what I can use as a dirtpillos but worries me that once I go down it might take me a week to get back up,lol 60 is always 60 no matter how much it gets buttered,lol

the tomatoes are hard for me to plant too because i put them down deeply plus i also have worms/worm compost from heavy buckets i want to use in those holes so i have to dig them down pretty deeply (a shovel and a half). it ends up being worth the effort but it is hard on my back to lean over those holes and to get those buckets out to the gardens and to scoop things into the holes. once planted half way (i put the plants down deep enough to begin with and i select taller plants too from the greenhouse) i put enough dirt in the hole to cover the root ball and then water it in good to make sure the soil is compacted enough, then i go back another round and add more dirt and water it all in again so they're well situated. i don't lose my transplants this way and they do much better in the hotter parts of the summer because they have deeper roots.
I do not have any worm compost. Never done it and I might pass on that. I will not touch any worms not even the dead dried ones they sell for chickens,lol I have no clue on compost. I do have a corner where I throw all kinds of things like chicken manure, potato peels, carrot peels, left over lettuce the chicken do not eat or tomatoes, dried oak tree leaves and branches. Have been there for over a year and have no clue what to do with it. However, your method makes a lot of sense. I might try doing transplanting instead of keeping the seeds from the tomatoes,lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler That is a lot of onions and garlic! Congratulations on your harvest! I have 2 pots with sweet onion seedlings but have not put on the ground yet. I wonder if I am late on the Onion game. The tag reads as sweet spanish onions.
Worst case scenario is onion sets for next year or pearl onions. Go for it!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler That is a lot of onions and garlic! Congratulations on your harvest! I have 2 pots with sweet onion seedlings but have not put on the ground yet. I wonder if I am late on the Onion game. The tag reads as sweet spanish onions.
thanks. im not sure. its worth a shot. i alwausplant onions at the end of jan or early feb.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Too much snow in the ground here at that time. My garden was not ready until 3 wks ago. It was all grass,lol
I plant onions in January too - indoors. The longer they grow before the days get long, the larger bulb they can set.

@Chic Rustler do you plant seeds or sets?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i am not doing anything today with rains coming down, plus i can use a day off to recover from yesterday's bean planting. glad to have one bean garden in and ready to move on to the next which will happen Wednesday or later. tomorrow is also looking like rain. these rains are needed and appreciated. :) the break is nice too. :)