What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I set out some cabbage seedlings. Mounded some dirt around the potato plants and crossed my fingers. I let the goats in that pen awhile back and the stinkers ate the tops of my potatoes. Goats aren't supposed to eat potatoes...nobody told them, lol. (I shoulda known better)

I'm trying a couple of different ideas to try and over-winter some of my big ol' eggplant bushes. Some of the lower branches I stuck down to the soil with some ground staples. If they root, I'll put 'em in pots and try to protect for the winter. One of the higher branches I tried to hold down in a 1 gallon pot with more ground staples. I also cut a piece of a branch and have put it in a pot to see if it'll root. Trying several different methods - maybe one will take. As a last resort I'll trim the original plants back and see if I can give them enough cover/protection from any frost/freeze. I don't expect a miracle, but why not give it a shot?

Got some seeds in the other day so I'm going to start some broccoli and some broccoli raab. I love that stuff!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my gardening efforts today amounted to getting all the roasted squash skins fed to the worms and a bunch of other things that i've had sitting here for a week or two. all ten buckets got treats and there was much rejoicing. well at least there were plenty of worms in there moving that's all i could say for sure. :) then after resting up a bit i got to clean a bunch of squash seeds so that they can dry over the next few days. i decided to not keep every single seed i could pull out of the pulp because i already have quite a few seeds from previous years, but it's hard for me to let some go. the bucket of pulp and seeds and rotten squash bits will get buried outside if the weather cooperates. if not i'll have to dump it all out back near the lilac tree. that's pretty much how that tree gets fertilized. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Always thinking ahead, lol. I know I said I wasn't buying any more seeds but colored cauliflower was mentioned on the "what's for dinner" thread. Ebay has a mix of colored cauliflower and broccoli seeds that, including shipping, was less than $4. They may or may not be headed to my mailbox soon... (compulsive seed shopping - it's a disease I tell ya!)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
-not gonna lie a little jealous that you are working dirt right now and I am staring at snow covered, straw covered gardens.
Our weather is particularly mild right now so I'm taking advantage of it while I can. I really hope I'm not doing this all in vain! However, this summer when I'm dealing with 100+ real temps and higher when adjusted for heat index you won't be jealous - I promise, lol!!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is raining cats and dogs, but as soon as it stops I need to figure out what to do with a bunch of cardboard. I’m thinking compost tower, but not sure if it will take that much or be fast enough 🤔.

if it is clean enough and compostable the worms will certainly enjoy it. by clean enough i mean that it doesn't have a shiney plastic coating and not too much tape or other stuff that won't rot. it may be possible to sift all of that later from the pile of digested cardboard but i usually take it all off first because later on it may be degraded by sunlight and start breaking into more pieces which take more energy to pick up and herd towards the trash bin.

most common use of cardboard here is smothering weeds.