What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our weather has been ok but if I planted, no doubt it would turn real bad! Do want to experiment with a planting of beets in a raised bed....hoping they sprout in spring. They need cold first and I've put on damp paper towels, in plastic bag, in frig before. Got nice results at actual planting. I want to burn off, then disc garden area but, not enthused at changing out attachments. So it waits. 😶 we got 1/2" of rain today.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Todays seed of choice is carrots. I've got lots of seeds now (thanks to my seed buying obsession) and in different and various colors. Woo Hoo! I'm running out of raised bed areas, but I've got one left to rehab. This one is really more of a raised mound now - no boards left holding it in place. Really disappointed in the staying power of the cedar boards we used when building these beds. I think the next time I'll use cinder blocks instead of boards.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Todays seed of choice is carrots. I've got lots of seeds now (thanks to my seed buying obsession) and in different and various colors. Woo Hoo! I'm running out of raised bed areas, but I've got one left to rehab. This one is really more of a raised mound now - no boards left holding it in place. Really disappointed in the staying power of the cedar boards we used when building these beds. I think the next time I'll use cinder blocks instead of boards.
I just an article on raised beds in the shape of mounds with no support. Lots more growing area in my opinion. You would surround with straw bales instead of cinder blocks--I know cinder blocks are expensive where I live, even on a place like craigslist. Good luck with the carrots--I find they are hit or miss for me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

i much prefer to just pile up the garden soil where i want it when i want some elevation. borders are more work and in the way. after i pile the soil up then i'll use my foot to tamp the soil down around the edge and plant up top. someimes i'll plant lower growing and easier things along the edges. if i have mulch i'll mulch the edges to protect them from the rains more. by the end of the season it may have eroded away somewhat but it does the job. and then next season i can move it or shape it how i want.

right now we have a lot of raised beds with rocks and wood wraped in black plastic as borders and it's a lot more work to keep those gardens up than it is to keep up a plain dirt garden where i can roam a bit more freely. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My raised beds were just 4 boards screwed together filled with dirt. The boards rotted and I'm left with nothing much holding the dirt in one bed. Unfortunately, mounds don't last long around here. With our rain and gumbo mud a mound without something holding it in place tends to simply melt away. :( I actually left the rows in my garden this year to overwinter hoping they'd stay in place and I wouldn't have to till. Not so much... I probably should have covered them with cardboard or something at the end of the summer season - but I didn't. I let them lie fallow and now I'll most likely have to start over with tilling and rowing. Ugh... I may try layering some barn dirt on top of the rows and seeing if I can plant that way without tilling. It's a conundrum.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I placed my CSA share order for summer 2022 today! So along with my 4 raised beds, large garden plot, 30 pre-ordered strawberry plants (i hate that you can't eat them the 1st year 😥) and the 5 pots that I use for tomatoes--I am feeling pretty good about the upcoming season. NOT complete by any means as I was just looking at Baker Seeds but good.

I reached out to an ad on craigslist for old windows--free if they are still available--so a start on the cold frames for the raised beds

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has had terrible luck with Baker Creek? I only order from Fedco now. They’re nearby so I think that helps, what works for them usually works for me.

I haven’t done anything garden related other than starting some lettuce seeds to grow indoors. A couple have come up so far!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has had terrible luck with Baker Creek? I only order from Fedco now. They’re nearby so I think that helps, what works for them usually works for me.

I haven’t done anything garden related other than starting some lettuce seeds to grow indoors. A couple have come up so far!
Baker Creek usually doesn't have enough growing information for me. I have to do some research to figure out what will grow here - especially with seed sourced internationally.