CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rural King

Tomato seedling $4.98 each
IMG_20220326_202747132.jpg

Jalapeno Pepper plant $4.98 each
IMG_20220326_202818366.jpg

I looked at my wife and said, something I best not repeat here or I'll have to ask Almighty to forgive me again. My wife asked me if we'll be able to get seeds next year? I said I don't see why not. We are planting heirlooms and I've successfully kept seeds before, so we'll do it again and I'll teach you how.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I moved two old nasty hay rounds into the garden yesterday for mulch. Today I'm tilling up about a 1/8th of the garden for two rows of cabbages and two rows each of spanish white and spanish yellow onions. I'm using the jerk a knot in your tail troy built pony tiller, phew...

The soil in this old cow pasture is nice and rich with earth worms.
IMG_20220328_142814898_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah. Those tillers give a big, strong person a challenging workout! Me, they toss me around. I have a older, much smaller to use, 5 HP? 👍. That's why I wanted a rotary tiller for my tractor. BUT then ya can't get into aisles & spots during growing :lol: makes the expense pretty sad. And it's a big expense!!

I went over garden with disc a couple times today, shallower, just to break up some of the chunks. That's what a tiller does better! I plan to rake next, pulling out the grass clumps. I'm sure it will get some, break clumps, too. My rake isn't like the landscaping one you have there. It's called a pinestraw rake...longer tines which are finer. Bought to rake after mowing fields. It's quite strong actually.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tractor still sitting at garden. I'm working next 2 days. Supposed to get rain Thur night into daybreak Fri. Depending on amount I may be able to work it again over weekend. 🤔. I plan to start a few bean & pea plants using this hay I got for mulch, to see if it's contaminated with a weed herbicide, before tossing it on my precious garden soil! Better safe than sorry. Hope it's ok because I have 14 bale's of it! :old I'd rather mulch than burn.

Beyond that, I hope to get some potatoes going. 😁. I'm also anxiously waiting to see sprouts or toss some old seed on wet paper towels, in plastic bags. ;) seed cleanup/out.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No more than 8" deep maximum. Lay them on their side in the trench and gently curve the stem up where you want it to come out of the ground. I tried digging deep holes and it stunted their growth. All the plants I pulled up later after they were dead from fall frosts had zero roots below 8" deep.
Thanks 👍 8" seems to be a gardening golden rule or something. Same applies to potatoes plant them in wide row hill/mound around 8" high.