What did you do in your garden today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Would I be correct to assume these are for colder, shorter season areas? Is the fruit smaller? That would make sense...and flavor?
Northern Exposure is a short season (67 days) tomato listed as 8 oz. fruits. It is the most disease resistant, reliable short season tomato that I have ever grown. I get tomatoes as big as 4" to 5" in diameter and 12 to 16 oz.

While it can produce wonderfully in a colder, shorter season, it also can do very good in warmer, longer season areas. I had one plant in the greenhouse last summer that produced well in there where the daily temperatures got over 100°F. I have had one in the house all winter.

In my poor nutrient sand dune of a garden, they produced very well but were not flavorful and had an almost rubbery texture until I discovered Azomite. After the addition of azomite, they became very sweet, tasty and wonderful texture.

The reason I kept growing them even with the lack of flavor and texture is because once they were canned they tasted just like any other canned tomatoes. Now that I use azomite, the flavor and texture are wonderful.

I have tried other tomatoes every year and have never found any that will compare.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So while I'm waiting for this new fuel pump to get into the gas tank, I'm working in the garden. It's 71 out there and I'm hoeing, planting and mumbling not nice things. 😬. Planted beets and then limas. After a few hundred feet of dirt, and looking at that Lima bean....I thought. I just bought 2# of ready to cook, frozen baby limas for $1.99. it was so much easier!!!!! 🤨😲😢

Now, I'm all about good, no chems, exercise (within reason), being self sufficient. -- but by golly, those I put in the freezer were so, so, so much faster and easier. :hide :th :old :lol: they're not even ready to sprout and I'm thinking about weeds, picking, etc. Holy cow! No wonder fewer garden. 🤪 :idunno :lol: :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farmerseed strawberry seedlings came in. It's raining so I put them in the refrigerator crisper drawer, until maybe tomorrow.

IMG_20220415_101833847.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother those are pretty carrots! Does the pink go all the way thru?
Those are probably some of the nicest carrots I've ever grown. In the past I've always grown Danvers Half-Long thinking our soil wasn't soft enough for a full-sized carrot. But, I think I was wrong, lol. Those carrots were from a package of rainbow carrot seeds. The color is all the way through and they are mighty tasty! I'll definitely plant them again.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Friday I got white potatoes planted, raspberry bush, grape vine, and strawberries in their various places. I’m currently expanding my garden to another area on top of what I already have, and extra 288 feet! Need to get the fence up and literally everything. Started yesterday and it rained on me. Also setting up a super mini green house on my porch to sprout seeds and possibly grow stuff over the winter.
I should also put plants in pots. I’m thinking of growing three different types of lavender in three different pots to see which I like best. I have seeds for them already, so we’ll see what happens. Never done great with herbs, but I’m excited to dry them!
Hope y’all are having a fantastic Easter!