What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today did nothing either but water the garden. Spent most of the day in a medical appointment and then on this:
20220720_161043.jpg20220720_161100.jpg
New housing for the ducklings,lol I am so terribly tired,lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I ran a drip line on my tomatoes for few hrs, then the rest got water since it was sun going down time....cooked some. Been so hot and dry for for a few days, everything was ok but glad fot a good drink. We have an extreme heat advisory for tomorrow...feel like 107-110. ☹️😬. Felt the water would help them.

Then. I picked my first batch of green beans. About a qt cooked. My oh my...so sweet and tender! Delish. Plants are full of 2" beans...should be canning 7-10 days. 😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today I ran a drip line on my tomatoes for few hrs, then the rest got water since it was sun going down time....cooked some. Been so hot and dry for for a few days, everything was ok but glad fot a good drink. We have an extreme heat advisory for tomorrow...feel like 107-110. ☹️😬. Felt the water would help them.

Then. I picked my first batch of green beans. About a qt cooked. My oh my...so sweet and tender! Delish. Plants are full of 2" beans...should be canning 7-10 days. 😁
Contender? They are delicious for a green bean, my favorite. I have got zero off the blue lake, flower like crazy, the little tiny beans fall off. I think it's to hot and humid for them. I won't be messing with blue lake again.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dug some sweet potatoes and picked the argonaut squash. I have a squash that topped the scales at 15 lbs! I shoulda got a picture before I cut into it. I cooked a portion of it for dinner tonight. When I say "a portion" of it - there's probably at least 12 lbs of it left.

I was close - it's 11.6 lbs. If you look close on the left hand side you can see that I've got the end covered with Press n Seal. We didn't even finish the part that I cooked. It was the flesh surrounding the seed cavity, so it wasn't that much. I guess I'd better figure out how to can this stuff!

1658369744047.png

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter they were Contender. Very good. I hope they hold in canning, not getting too soft. I usually grow a pole and now remember why! I dont like having to raise up a half laying down plant to harvest. ☹️. Maybe next yr a short fence along them...they kinda send out viny shoots. Yes extreme heat can affect bloom and fruits.😩

It can affect harvesters too...😁🤣

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I watered this morning at 5:30 am after letting out the chickens. I have some raspberries turning, lots of green tomatoes, more strawberries coming in, lots of small peppers and an abundance of buttercup squash on the vines-about 20 that I can count.

!!! (excitement :) )

we love buttercup squash and am trying yet again to grow it here this season. we've grown some in the past but they don't do as well here as the others so it tends to fade out and get replaced by the squash that do better.

garlic did get lifted this morning. it wasn't too difficult to do as i hadn't planted nearly as much as before. 10-15 bulbs worth.

in the past i've used the hose to rinse the dirt off the bulbs, but this year i decided to try something different and used a brush to get the dirt off after i trimmed off the dry leaves and the roots. so now it is in the garage to finish drying and curing. i wouldn't want to leave it out in the sun all day in this heat.

bulb size was moderate to large on all of them. i'd planted pretty large cloves to begin with so that always gives them a better chance of being larger, but also where i planted them was in pretty good topsoil that's seen a fair amount of weeds being buried in the past few years so there should have been plenty of nutrients and enough organic matter out there for them and there was.

the only crop that garden will grow that the deer will not eat. onions did have some tops munched off (probably by accident because the deer were going after the bean plants).

also managed to get a bunch of pathways and gardens weeded including the squash patches and the large other bean garden that has still got some bean plants growing in there. all this done before 9:30 and i had to make sure Mom was not overdoing it herself in this heat. gladly when i came in i found out she was in and decided herself that it was too much for her out there. :) she may not always listen to me.

time for breakfast.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we love buttercup squash and am trying yet again to grow it here this season. we've grown some in the past but they don't do as well here as the others so it tends to fade out and get replaced by the squash that do better.
this is my first year growing it so we will see how it does

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this is my first year growing it so we will see how it does

they're our favorites besides the kabocha types which are also dense and drier than the rest we grow. when i'm processing squash i end up blending the wetter and drier squash together and it works out pretty well. :)

i hope they do great and you enjoy them!

for fun we often call squash squab.