What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I braid my onions to hang in strings, I don't pull them until they are quite a bit drier.... not brittle, but want them to grow and then cure as long as they can in the soil and tops fall over and then dry down a good bit before I pull.
Your onions look real nice @CrealCritter .

Think the "broccoli plants" that a neighbor had given me are actually cauliflower and they are not doing much with this heat...they look terrible and there is a bug eating the leaves too..... going to direct seed some broccoli seed in garden for fall plants....
I don't know how to braid, I know... Sad.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Eek! How do YOU treat? The bites? I just finished heavily watering the garden as this will be another 100 degree day... Harvested some mint and placed in nesting areas. Cut a few leaves of kale and will try to finish harvesting the oat patch later this evening...

ice? vinegar water?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know how to braid, I know... Sad.

for a simple braid of three if you can count and know left from right and middle from either of those you should be able to manage it.

start by tying the ends together of the three and then laying them down next to each other and then repeat these two steps until you've braided as long as you need.

1. take left piece and put it over the middle piece.

2. take the right piece and now put it over the new middle piece.

i think i got this right... :) if i didn't find a video which should show it clearly enough.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i needed to get some weeding done this morning but i decided i didn't want to go out there and that i would have time this coming week to do this since it will be cooler and now that it has rained and everything got watered it will also be easier.

we had a relative come over for brunch and that was fine with me. after that and doing dishes it was hot enough i wasn't going to bother even trying today. siesta then reading and not much else other than more reading and watching some vids and music. nothing at all stressful.

i could have gone out this morning and filled the birdbaths up. the bees have really started to swarm them (there's a lot of hives not too far from the birdbaths) and that discourages the birds from using them. so today i decided to leave them empty to knock back the bees from using them perhaps. i know that now that it is raining the bees will be back as soon as the rains stop and that they'll help empty the birdbaths again. i like to clean them out with the hose in the morning and then fill them back up and in the evening i now empty them by spraying them out with the hose and that cleans out the dirt and birdie poops. it also gives the bees some momentary excitement. they don't ever come after me for spraying them. i wave the spray over the birdbath at first so they get a bit of a warning before i spray more directly. this gets most of the bees aloft.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not quite as big as yours @CrealCritter but I didn't need them huge to make relish!

Attachments

• 20220723_130459.jpg
    20220723_130459.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220723_130230.jpg
    20220723_130230.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 47

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek! How do YOU treat? The bites?

Those things stung, itched and swoll up in just a couple minutes! Terrible ants!!!!
I'd have moved with just a polite asking....no need to have sent
an army. 😬😱. I used a roll on with lidocaine. Tried just itch stuff and the stinging was too much. That stopped the pain pretty fast but I still have red welts and they're blistering in center like a pus pocket. I can see why an animal would be uncomfortable if they laid on a hill.

don't know how to braid, I know... Sad.

WHAT??? With all your daughters? Guess DW did it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Was over at my neighbors yesterday evening, he's a farmer. Got to talking about gardening. I picked up a couple of new things to try next year 👍 went and looked at his garden. His green beans are loaded, he planted contender (my favorite variety, but couldn't find seed this spring)🙄. Here are blue lakes in our garden, they flower and the little beans fall off before they get big enough to pick.

Neighbor said blue lakes are very funking that way sometimes. With the hot humid weather we have been having it's no wonder the beans won't set. He said eventually the weather will come around and they will set. He also said I planted "production beans", and with two 50 foot rows, that I'll be up to my eyeballs in beans.
IMG_20220724_132743263.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Onion results are in and verified by my wife and neighbors.

Both the white and yellow sweet spanish are indeed sweet. The yellows will open you're sinuses first, then it finishes sweet. My neighbor said, the yellow has a good bit of zing to it. The whites are mellow compared to the yellow. The ladies all agreed the whites, will be good for general purpose cooking. The yellows for soup and onion rings, etc.. where the onion is the star of the show.

I totally forgot that a fresh onion will make you cry and cause your nose to run. I had some tissues stuffed in my back pocket for the taste tests 🤣 My neighbors both said those are some really good onions right there. And they gladly took some for being taste testers. 👍 I'm pretty happy with the results from the garden soil, so I won't be adding any sulfur amendment.

Now off to have my wife teach me to braid, this should be interesting... I probably should brush my teeth first though.

Jesus is Lord and a Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I braid about 8-12 to a string... start with the 3, and then work in more as I go.... have to have pliable but not too green and not dried out tops. Otherwise they go in an onion bag.
I have yellow and red and some whites. The whites did not do as good on that end and the D@#NED DEER had to walk all through them and pulled some up. That problem will be remedied next year... there will be several here to hunt this fall.... and a fence next year.... Looks like they are starting to eat the tops of the tomato plants too. SORRY S.O.B's.....
Hope mine are sweet and not too pungent. They are not near as nice and big as yours @CrealCritter ... but they still need some time as I did not get them in as soon either.