What did you do in your garden today?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pulled some turnips yesterday. My first time growing 'em. I definitely will try again, but would like to move them to a raised bed area. They were delicious! I read that cold weather makes them sweeter and while I can't say they were "sweet" they were definitely less pungent that others that I've purchased.
yea!! I am so glad the did well, the ones I grew last year had some ?? bug/worm lines ,, I cut that part out and cooked them

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I heavily pruned the four existing young apple trees here. Making them an open vase for air flow and fruit production. Hubs was upset cus 'we won't get any apples". But of the four trees, only one made apples this past summer, due to the weird rain and cold in April and the lack of pruning. I'm good with what I did.

We also bought four old old blueberry bushes from a place that Dad passed and DD who inherited the farm wants to reduce the size of the orchard. She suggested no pruning as she wants the roots to spend time makin strong roots again (due up by a tractor) than making berries. We also have 6 other very tiny blue betties (31 yr old son called them blue betties when he was tiny) plants that we planted last summer.

Its a task that looks hard on these plants this year, but will provide health and production in future years.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I heavily pruned the four existing young apple trees here. Making them an open vase for air flow and fruit production. Hubs was upset cus 'we won't get any apples". But of the four trees, only one made apples this past summer, due to the weird rain and cold in April and the lack of pruning. I'm good with what I did.

We also bought four old old blueberry bushes from a place that Dad passed and DD who inherited the farm wants to reduce the size of the orchard. She suggested no pruning as she wants the roots to spend time makin strong roots again (due up by a tractor) than making berries. We also have 6 other very tiny blue betties (31 yr old son called them blue betties when he was tiny) plants that we planted last summer.

Its a task that looks hard on these plants this year, but will provide health and production in future years.

You are right, it needs to be done.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I brought my 6 blueberry plants and 5 elderberry s with us when we moved. There are 4 EXtra large blueberries that are as old as the house, ? 36? They need cut way back this year. I didn’t do them last year because no wanted to see just what they would do.

I did get some sprout going, we use it on just about everything we eat, and I did extra for the chickens
9191108F-FB85-41FB-A319-00AB9BFB108A.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
We went out to breakfast this morning (occasional treat) and talked about canning this coming year and what we might plant vs purchase from our local farmer guys. Peas, carrots, and red beets were agreed on for me to grow. Still discussing

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another clear morning here for a few more hours, off and on aging rain, but thats normal,,
turning and feeding my compost bin today,
I wanted to get the fruit trees pruned this week but didnt get to it , we will have rain non stop next week , I'll have to break out the rain suit and get it done! its suppose to be high of 50 all week,

-- I have a row marked off for the squash I'll take a pic later, it will be in the east back side so the squash legs can sprawl out toward the fence, I am going to put down carboard over the grass walk way for it,
this is the back side- so carboard on the grass up to the dirt in the bed, Squash row will be north to south or looking at the pic right to left
View attachment 22546

Iam not sure where I am going to put the green bean trellis, 🧐 I dont want it where it will shed stuff, 🤔 I think a row going west to east on the north side by the herbs

View attachment 22545

:ya I am going to crawl around and play in the dirt
Today I am going to direct seed the snow peas, a winter mix of salad, radish, arugula, parsnip and carrots,
Jealous! Still about 8in of snow everywhere on my yard,lol

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cannot fund what I marked to order the dang calendar. Downloaded one from urban farmer but it is not specific for my area.
Back from hospital late last night. Doing OK today. Need to be off my legs for 7 days. They have to be up. I don't get back from Florida until March 10th. Hope is not too late.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I up-potted some purple broccoli starts today. They had definitely outgrown their little starter cells. They're in plastic cups now awaiting their trip into the garden. I did NOT go out and buy plastic cups to use for planters - these are left over from my DD's wedding about 7 or 8 years ago. Needed to give them a job, lol.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does it stay purplish when cooked? I've seen the Brussels ... Pretty. Waiting on the purple cauli seed I ordered. It does keep it's color. 😁 Fancy fun thing I've been wanting to try.