What did you do in your garden today?

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, got a call today for a follow up appointment on the 23rd, labs to be done and a heart sonogram on the 28th. I will be busy this end of month. Birthday, airport,seed swap,and medical appointments, lol

However, I think spring is near. Saw a few finches visiting my back this morning.

20230206_082704.jpg
20230206_082700.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sowed a flat of snow king califlower (50 day) and a flat green comet broccoli (55 day) both early F1 varieties. I'll probably direct sow some tender something or other in the rows after harvest. We are planning on doing a bigger garden this year than last year.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pulled some turnips yesterday. My first time growing 'em. I definitely will try again, but would like to move them to a raised bed area. They were delicious! I read that cold weather makes them sweeter and while I can't say they were "sweet" they were definitely less pungent that others that I've purchased.

i like them fried so they get a bit of brown/burn on them. :) yum yum. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sowed a flat each of Ruby Onion, White Spanish, Yellow Spanish. Can't ever recall growing red onions before. But I won't know what may become of them, unless I give them a try. All three are OP/Heirloom varieties.

I ordered some early F1 Brussels Sprouts called green gems. Supposed to be early 85 - 95 day and great for storage by freezing. I'll sow them as soon as I receive the seeds. I've never grew these before either, but won't know unless I try.

We'll have to buy store bought onions pretty soon if we want fresh onions. Farm Babe canned and froze some. This is all the fresh onions that's left from the garden last year :(
IMG_20230208_211146338.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We always mixed it up between fresh and dehydrated when I was growing up. Onions are one of the crops there.
Most of the summer onions (white) and all the yellow thin necks she processed or used to make cabbage rolls and stuffed green peppers. The white ones she canned are caramelized in the jars, those are very nice. Then she froze some and I still have a few bags of frozen onion rings.

We will need more onions if we want to make it an entire year on just garden onions. We do go through our fair share of tomatoes, peppers and onions. We did give several away also. I can't say no, if someone asks for some onions.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't grow but, bought a quantity at produce auction. I like to chop and freeze bags of peppers and also onions. Nice to have them "ready to go" when cooking. Just used some of my toasted, dehydrated ones in a pot of chicken broth last evening. Nice! Guess I plan to grow them this year since I bought seed in the fall. 🥴🙄. Health wise onions are very good for you. I love those and garlic. My kids, nope...won't eat them. Don't even like them cooked in things. Sad. Great flavor. Too bad 🙃

Goaties have been direct fertilizing my garden spot all winter...I should be good to go. Warming Soon.😁

@CrealCritter are you enlarging your garden space or just utilizing what's there in better fashion? You had a sizeable area in 2022. I'm doing the latter as I didn't plant a good bit of mine last year. Planing to stay home more this year -- not job so much!

Last edited: