What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
only outdoor things yesterday were taking the trash out and setting the recycling bins so those could be emptied. all morning it snowed but the snow mostly was melted by evening. had to go out again and retrieve the recycle bins and empty the water from them and dump out some slimey lettuce trimmings on the weed pile.

indoor garden related things are going through the bean collection and packing up some for sending out. hope i can have those ready for Wednesday, but i'm not sure i'll get it all done. thank goodness both people are willing to take mixed samples or it would take me way too long.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bought a little, half off, cheapo greenhouse to put on back porch for plant starts. Yeah, some pre cut tubing & big, fitted plastic sack, 4 plastic shelves🤣. But, it will get enough sun to heat it -- I can use one of my heat lamps if needed on bad nights -- and keeps the stuff out of my house. It'll work right now. Will be time soon to start up some of the cool weather plants real soon. Have all the potting soil, plant trays, etc. got those for 90% off at a couple of the dollar stores I work, late summer. Anyway, got text it shipped. So I'll get it put together next week. I will have a garden this year! Sooo many canning jars to fill.😄 More seeds here than Walmart!! 😱

I'm chomping at the bit! If Murphy's works, I'll set the new toy up and it'll snow :lol: but if I don't, no plant starts. Yeah, they sell them but I've already invested $$ and it's way less than buying starts because there aren't any "reasonably priced" sales areas near me. Most are the $5 per plant variety, catering to the homeowner with one 4x8 raised bed off the patio, by the pool. 😁:rant not an acre of veggies to can. I put out 30+ tomato plants...that's over $150 at Bonnie plant prices. If I drive 40 miles, I can get 4&6 packs for $5 but they're very young plants -- like 2-4 real leaves. Too tender to plant. Heck, I can have that here in a matter of 2 weeks. :idunnowhen it warms, a lot goes straight into the ground. It's the early to plant ones that get started.

What are the rest of you guys doing???

Heck, some of you are in short seasons. Not even thinking of plants yet :oops::pop. Sorry. I'm bummed for NO garden 2023...catch up time.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm looking out the window at the rains, no snow, a bit of green but mostly it is yellow to brown and gray out there.

i'm stuck on a project i need to finish up at last. made some progress yesterday, will continue to work on it today.

then i can get back to beans and taking pictures, that is much more fun and garden oriented. :)

spider hunting also has kept me busy some days here and also trying to give space for Mom to rest and heal up, so i've been reading during her nap times.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We looked at a Kabota (a letter?)7500 with 326 hours on it. Had the front loader, the back bucket and was in decent shape. $15K

Decided against it. Too much and hubs is having a hard time to even do the hard things anymore. Son bought him an electronic measuring tape, cus they both had words when hubs was struggling to measure something. Sadly hubs said he don't need no stinking electronic tape measure....

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fair points, but I've been there and got the t-shirt. Lol. :lol:

Despite not gardening majorly for over 10 years, I still have my gardening gear. Lightweight long sleeved shirts, rugged pants, comfortable headgear, good gloves, and garden work boots. Instilled in me as a kid having a set of "farm clothes" for weekends at my grandparents dairy farm.

Have only been on this property for less than 3 months, still getting a feel for things. The ground has been saturated with standing water and too soft to be able to explore too much. With the fallow property next door, I have a concern of field mice and possibly ground hogs coming from over there, so critter defense is a big consideration.

If I was 10 years younger, the approach would be different. With a full-time job plus the volunteer gig, I have to be stingy with my efforts. Raised beds for now.

all makes sense to me. :) good luck with what you can do and enjoy.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm also spacing 4 feet on walkways this year. I have a small dog kennel I'm using as a chicken tractor to weed
Hmmm...are you saying a crate to set in walkway? That's a good idea. BUT I'm hoping I won't need that help :lol: cardboard & mulch again. Worked well where I actually put it in last one.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi lovelies! I know I have been MIA but at least not KIA, 🙃

so glad to hear! :) several of us have wondered how you were doing...

Just so much going on. New med makes me ill but is working. A1C from 9 is now 6 and from 239 is 211. I miss my sugar,lol apparently I was operating at over 300 or more. Now is less than 130 and have no energy to do anything but sleep. 🤪

that sounds like it still needs some adjustments... hope you can get it figured out.

Oh, what I did today in the garden? Do I have a garden? Well, nothing. It's freezing! All that rush to spring clocks forward but nature here spung back to winter. I am about to put my Christmas tree up to celebrate 🍾

every time it snows i'm still playing Christmas music.

Hope all are doing good. I missed you all so much! And had about 8 ears of corn. The best corn I have ever had in my 16 years. Oh, auto-correct changed the numbers, 🤣

:)