What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The interesting thing is the beans. Dry beans popped right up, even in the cold, but I haven't seen a single green bean. Not sure whether I should buy new seed, replant, or try something else in that space.

probably should be up by now, some may take a bit longer than others to germinate, but also it could be the seeds aren't good any more. depends on many factors... were the seeds purchased from a store rack or ones you had saved?

the earliest beans i plant are a little cold tolerant and grow well no matter where i plant them, but they are a purple bean. some green beans i've planted have certainly been more finicky than the purple beans.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought tomato plants and got them in the ground. DS17 did it and he has a reputation for killing transplants. But he watered them t9day, so maybe there's hope?

for being as far north as you are that's risky IMO, do you have a way to cover the plants in case of frosts? i don't plant out the tomato starts here until towards the end of this month and even then it can be a risk. i plant out the tomatoes and peppers about the same time as they both want warmth and warm ground...

some beans that are randomly around the gardens here are starting to sprout so the ground is warm enough for early planting but it is still rather risky so i've not planted any scarce seeds yet and will hold off for a few weeks yet.

plenty of weeding and other projects to get taken care of...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
for being as far north as you are that's risky IMO, do you have a way to cover the plants in case of frosts? i don't plant out the tomato starts here until towards the end of this month and even then it can be a risk. i plant out the tomatoes and peppers about the same time as they both want warmth and warm ground...
Yeah, it's a risk. My last frost date is May 10, and my 10-day forecast looks good. 🤞

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need some Mounds bars
1 c coconut flour or ground coconut
6 c shredded coconut (not packed)
2 cubes butter

Mix it all up until well blended, breaking up any lumps. Form logs (I usually just do this by squeezing in my hand) and put in the freezer to solidify. Cover with chocolate. I wish I could find unsweetened coconut, these are still too sweet for me. And no stupid chemicals!

I tried other things for the binder, but butter works best. The coconut flour is just to improve the texture, so replace with another cup of shredded coconut if you prefer. Any kind of chocolate will work, I use semi-sweet bulk chocolate.

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
probably should be up by now, some may take a bit longer than others to germinate, but also it could be the seeds aren't good any more. depends on many factors... were the seeds purchased from a store rack or ones you had saved?

the earliest beans i plant are a little cold tolerant and grow well no matter where i plant them, but they are a purple bean. some green beans i've planted have certainly been more finicky than the purple beans.
I replanted last Saturday. The original seeds were remnants of a box (15 years old maybe? 1 pound box.) that grew just fine last year. But last year I wasn't using them for a cold tolerance test in saturated soil! 🤣

I replanted with a mix of the remaining seeds from this box and new purchased seeds.

When I planted fbefore I was working with straight sand, alkaline soil, and very little water. Now I have lots of water and heavy clay acidic soil.

I don’t want to risk my landrace seeds until I know how things grow in this new environment. My old adapted seeds are really struggling.

*Update. I just looked at the box. Packed for 2014 and 6.99, not 1.99. Silly me.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1 c coconut flour or ground coconut
6 c shredded coconut (not packed)
2 cubes butter

Mix it all up until well blended, breaking up any lumps. Form logs (I usually just do this by squeezing in my hand) and put in the freezer to solidify. Cover with chocolate. I wish I could find unsweetened coconut, these are still too sweet for me. And no stupid chemicals!

I tried other things for the binder, but butter works best. The coconut flour is just to improve the texture, so replace with another cup of shredded coconut if you prefer. Any kind of chocolate will work, I use semi-sweet bulk chocolate.

Thank you for the recipe! I have to make. Lot of things now to limit sodium for hubby.

Our Winco has unsweetened coconut as well. I know where 3 other Winco stores are within a not too big a distance but ours has the best bulk area. Probably because it's closest to the more country area of my county