What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planted beans, watered, came in and then Mom said she wanted to see what i'd gotten done already so we went back out to look and there was a family of groundhogs starting to come through the fence so we chased them off.
then a nephew showed up for a visit and we had lunch. i rested a bit, picked strawberries and kept an eye on the gardens the rest of the day (taking my air rifle with me just in case).

today is mowing, a lot of mowing, but i'll have to water once it gets a little warmer outside first. Mom can mow some of the lawn so she does her part and then i finish up, but i have a large area of grass that hasn't been cut yet this season that i need to bring back down (because there's also some thistles in there i also need to control before they bloom and drop more seeds).

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Was watering the beds, went back to the garage, and......

20240612_173247.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Need to move my peppers to a different bed. The tomatoes are going gangbusters and crowding them out.

Potatoes are starting to bloom, so they are moving along nicely. Happy with things so far

Whistle pig will be attended to this weekend .

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Argh! Mowing. Who came up with that? I should be able to curse it and should grow no more. 😬

i do that by turning it into gardens. i'd much rather garden than mow any time. the thing is we only have a little lawn left to mow and a large part of what i mow now is the edge to the south of us which isn't even our property but having it clear keeps a lot of weed seeds and amainals from having easy access to our gardens. eventually i want to turn everything left that is grass to gardens. smothering it with berry bushes is also being considered... i don't care if the birds eat all the berries. the problem is all the honeysuckle bushes/trees we have that i also want to remove and that would free up a huge amount of space for other things too, but oh my would that be a lot of work... i may be retired from big projects by the time that happens...

as for today and what i can actually accomplish i have three gardens i can finish up planting inside the fence and then i'll be done there and can get that last outside the fence big garden planted.

with the warm weather and drying winds we've been having i need to water lightly two or three times a day (next week when it gets hotter i'll sure have to bump it up to three times a day) to make sure all the seeds have enough moisture to keep sprouting. i have tons of sprouts up already. :) :) :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got the kids out to the garden this morning. DS9 played with the kitten and did a tiny bit of weeding. He is very unfocused for his age. DS17 hoed. He did better than his usual, so that was nice. He wants a ride to work this afternoon. :gig My pea rows are looking good! They are in a corner of the garden so they get infested with quackgrass. It's hard to keep up.

Lettuce is up. DS17 broadcast it in an area infested with quacgrass, so that's.... fun. /s

I found the kale. DS17 didn't keep track of where he planted, so on different days he planted kale, chard, and radishes in the exact same rows. :smackHe is fantastically terrible at planting seeds. His occupational therapist believes he has issues with motor planning.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow!!

Finished mowing today, so I can switch out mower for tiller. Yeah, after the rains, grasses are back trying to be a pasture again. And it looks like one!! 🙄😳. So, I'll hit all I can for last time. Did get some mulched, etc. it's working.

Potatoesm
IMG_20240612_093356338_HDR~2.jpg

Peppers
IMG_20240612_093443563_HDR.jpg

Tomatoes started
IMG_20240612_093459137_HDR.jpg

And LOOOOK at the grass!! Gotta pound posts, 2 rows, add CPS, plants are laying so pull up & tie, then get the waiting mulch out there. All day job!!

Tilling will be the quick part and won't ouch these mulched sections. I'll meet the little tiller to get between my rows of beans, okra & corn. Sunday I'll plant more & mulch. :fl :th:fl