20220413_115700.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220413_115230.jpg
    20220413_115230.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 55

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Would I be correct to assume these are for colder, shorter season areas? Is the fruit smaller? That would make sense...and flavor?
I have experimented with all the short season tomatoes.

NONE ARE AS GOOD as a heritage long season one.

But... way better than nothing

I have found that I prefer to stick with the romas. Those are shorter season-ish.

But then I cry... because if I could have tomato soup from home grown Roma tomatoes on a daily or at least weekly basis... I would be in heaven.

But for that... I would need a greenhouse about 10x the size that I have. :hit

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Would I be correct to assume these are for colder, shorter season areas? Is the fruit smaller? That would make sense...and flavor?
Northern Exposure is a short season (67 days) tomato listed as 8 oz. fruits. It is the most disease resistant, reliable short season tomato that I have ever grown. I get tomatoes as big as 4" to 5" in diameter and 12 to 16 oz.

While it can produce wonderfully in a colder, shorter season, it also can do very good in warmer, longer season areas. I had one plant in the greenhouse last summer that produced well in there where the daily temperatures got over 100°F. I have had one in the house all winter.

In my poor nutrient sand dune of a garden, they produced very well but were not flavorful and had an almost rubbery texture until I discovered Azomite. After the addition of azomite, they became very sweet, tasty and wonderful texture.

The reason I kept growing them even with the lack of flavor and texture is because once they were canned they tasted just like any other canned tomatoes. Now that I use azomite, the flavor and texture are wonderful.

I have tried other tomatoes every year and have never found any that will compare.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have experimented with all the short season tomatoes.

NONE ARE AS GOOD as a heritage long season one.

But... way better than nothing

I have found that I prefer to stick with the romas. Those are shorter season-ish.

But then I cry... because if I could have tomato soup from home grown Roma tomatoes on a daily or at least weekly basis... I would be in heaven.

But for that... I would need a greenhouse about 10x the size that I have. :hit
Have you tried growing Burpee's Super Sauce or Gladiator? Both are Romas.

Latest posts