What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i think it unrealistic to expect much free help from him to keep up another garden even if he offered.
I wouldn't expect him to keep up with my garden. At most, use his tractor driven tiller to do what would take me days to do with my walk behind tiller.

At this point I think all we might do is knock down a pile of dirt and some preliminary tilling. I won't bother with fencing until if/when I'll need it.

These folks are like family and we often help each other out. I take care of their place when they go away - and they go away for weekends or longer quite often. I've supplied them with milk and eggs. He will help us if he sees us outside struggling with something mechanical and they've helped us butcher or move furniture or whatever is needed. When DH was hospitalized they brought food when we got home and we did the same for them when she was hospitalized with Covid.

I won't do anything that would risk our relationship. Good neighbors and friends like these are priceless. :love

We were told to water heavily which I'm doing. I really believe it's going through the plants root system - but more on his side. He has much more of the damage than I do. (The house in the pic is his.) I think what might have given us some protection is that my driveway is raised. There is grass over it, but under the grass is a fabric stability liner and concrete wash-out. Not too many roots there and none of the same grasses that are on his side. Perhaps what actually made it into my garden was windblown and has only damaged the broadleaf plants (weeds) there. If that's the case - I feel very lucky!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope springs eternal, lol! Can you see it? Remember the golden zucchini I planted? Here it is!

1650664848533.png

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What would eat my rhubarb? Deer? Never in 15 years has anything eaten it! What can I do, net it?

usually if deer are around you can see their tracks. bunnies can be really hungry and will eat the bark of some shrubs and trees so i'd not put it past them to try some tender rhubarb buds.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
usually if deer are around you can see their tracks. bunnies can be really hungry and will eat the bark of some shrubs and trees so i'd not put it past them to try some tender rhubarb buds.
Deer are pretty desperate here this spring. 😯
they are too here, no green grass or anything but i don't see any tracks.

I thought they were poisonous to animals.....