What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted more sweet potato slips. Desperately walking around looking for places to stick them when I decided to close a gate to cut the buck pen in half and stick some in the ground in there. This is not a dedicated garden space, but I'm going to pretend it is. Hope the 'taters pretend too, lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My neighbor came over yesterday evening and tilled the remainder of our garden. He had some old school made in 1982, 3 point beast of a tiller, the soil is broke deep after he was done. Hopefully I'll be able to get in there tomorrow and do some planting. They are forecasting a lot of days of rain starting tomorrow and through next week. But that's been our theme around here this spring - rain rain rain, what can I do in-between rain showers? At times I think we could use more sand for a beach ⛱️ it's been a very wet spring, so far.

We are not letting the rain stop us though. I spent some quality time in the barn with my wife and we planted asparagus and strawberries in kiddie pools. I made up big kiddie pool of about 1/2 peat moss and barn scrapings (mainly duck poop & sawdust) and barn lime for farmerseed Ozark Beauty Strawberries.

This picture is after 5 days of being outside in the kiddie pool. They are just starting to wake up and putting on their first leaves. Good thing about a kiddie pool on a pallet, is no munching rabbits.
Screenshot_20220428-203010~2.png

I appreciate the strawberries came with instruction on storage for delayed planting. I tossed the bags in the refrigerator crisper drawer as per the instructions and it worked well 👍 My hats off to farmerseed, out of 150 bare root plants. Although I think there was more than 150. We had 10 that we didn't plant and some of the plants had good 10 to 12 inch long roots. Loosing 10 with around a 2 week delayed planting, I think is very good, plus the price of them was very good also, all things considering. So we are very happy with them 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
beautiful day out today. i could get some weeding done and puttering around for a while and the nesting birdies were well behaved. Mom even commented that they did not react much to her being out and working in both garden areas where they've got their nests. :)
Did I miss?

What kinds of birds are nesting?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I checked on my grafted tree and it's alive!! The graft worked!

My first time grafting and 1/5 are growing, 2/5 look like they didn't take, and 2/5 still to be determined.

View attachment 18481
That has got to be a satisfying feeling for a graft to take like that 👍

If you don't mind me asking... Where did you purchase scionwood from? I also assume that's stone fruit root stock, although I can't see the tag, which kind is it?. I want to learn grafting, so I've been studying. Can you also share the type of graft you used please? T Bark graft?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Self made ugly scrap 2x4 garden staple making machine 😜 beats buying them any day of the week. I'm using redbrand galvanized 14 guage electric fence wire to make the staples. It's really simple to build and operate, cut wire to length center the wire on the 2x4 anvil, push the handle down, lift the handle and remove the staple.

I'm making mine with 1 foot of wire each. I already had a almost full spool of wire that was given me, so basicly no cost in materials, just my time. The staples are not perfect but work great to staple land scape fabric to the ground and that's all that really counts 👍

Screenshot_20220428-235316~2.png

Screenshot_20220428-235604~2.png