What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a start. Put this together this morn. Everything to start plants, already here. Maybe this weekend I'll get something working🤞

SE corner of porch, sun 3/4 of day.

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_122730610_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240215_122730610_HDR.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 27

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler ... So nice to see you post!! 🤩. Been a long time. Hope all is well and your health is good. Those youngins are about grown by now 🤣 hoping wife is well, too. So tell us what's new.
just working and raising kids. the oldest is 18 now. Trying to ramp up the garden a bit this year. i was a little lazy last year and the pantry is getting low

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Corn has to be planted every year. The seed grows the stalk, the corn stalk makes the ear, the corn kernels in the ear are allowed to mature to hard/dry kernels and that is what grows a new corn stalk. If they make silage the whole plant is cut off above the ground and chopped up and stored in a silo or a silage bag when it is partially dry so it will ferment into silage...... If the corn is grown for seed, or say for adding to feed like in chicken feed, the ears are harvested, or they are run through the combine and the seed is removed from the cob.... and then the stalks are often baled off the ground and used for bedding or even some are chopped for feeding so the cows get good roughage...
Some ears will fall when it is being harvested for dry corn for feeding and seed... and will grow the next year... most corn that is grown is hybrid and specifically grown to produce ears that they have "engineered" to be certain types.... there is not alot of open pollinated corn grown anymore... but the kernels will grow when they fall to the ground and get worked into the ground even if only from the machinery running over top of it some.
Most corn ground is planted in specifically measured rows, for optimal growth and pollination, and so that when it comes time the chopper or combine can go down the rows and the stalks will feed into the V-shaped cutters on the machine... and not run over and crush the plants and waste the plant and ear. It costs over $250-350 PER 50 lb bag of seed corn to plant so the farmer does not want any extra planted and does not want any missed spots in the rows either...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did this first cut. Over it a few times, prob 8" deep. Will let it sit a day or two, then another hit to smooth out. It's still very moist & rains sometimes Wed to Fri ?? Whenever 🤷 composted manure tilled in, hope the light growth dies well -- not deep rooted & chopped well. Good dirt, enough sand to keep fluffed.

Good girl😁 such a nice feel to get it working.

IMG_20240407_135044445_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240407_135041653_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240407_135305392_HDR.jpg
ATTACH]
IMG_20240407_135036738_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Raised bed kits arrived yesterday.
I did the planning and cost analysis (and my penchant for over engineering), since I was starting from scratch here. It was just about break even. Even more so with the reduced labor need

Not technically live off the land self sufficient, but I will be playing in the dirt soon with my gardening tools.

Waiting for the rain to clear out on Saturday

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DS14 and I are still clearing the garden from not being used this year. We hoed and pulled crabgrass from the "done" section, and started pulling another section of tall weeds. I hope we get through it all before the ground freezes.

DS14 collected some jackhammer radish seeds to save for next year.

I ordered more seeds, and am reading a book about small-scale organic grain production.