What did you do in your garden today?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Chic Rustler ... So nice to see you post!! 🤩. Been a long time. Hope all is well and your health is good. Those youngins are about grown by now 🤣 hoping wife is well, too. So tell us what's new.
just working and raising kids. the oldest is 18 now. Trying to ramp up the garden a bit this year. i was a little lazy last year and the pantry is getting low

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the boy and i built a new garden gate today. turned out well.
20240329_185950.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Groundhog? Isn't that like a beaver?

sort of, but worse. beavers stick to the water and trees for the most part (i've never had beavers around here). groundhogs are rather large and eat a lot of vegetable matter to get the energy they need. they can mow a garden down...

i need a better fence to fully exclude them and that's not likely to happen this year either so i have to hunt them or i won't get much from the gardens.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 2 silly questions. As it is warm, went out early and ripped it all out. Tomato dried plants, pulled and sent to compost. Cages, fixed and stacked. Old Greek oregano, cut all old dried ones. This one I know it comes back.

#1 I pulled the old corn stalks. However, the land behind me they only cut it low. Do they seed or the stalks come back? Please tell me they re-seed or I will feel so stupid, o_O

Also removed the dry sweet basil and even being dried, the smell was so intense and fresh. #2. Am I double stupid?
20240406_093804.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sort of, but worse. beavers stick to the water and trees for the most part (i've never had beavers around here). groundhogs are rather large and eat a lot of vegetable matter to get the energy they need. they can mow a garden down...

i need a better fence to fully exclude them and that's not likely to happen this year either so i have to hunt them or i won't get much from the gardens.
Now I understand what you mean for planted,lol

Will be in Lansing June 29th. Maybe I can get some beans from you.