What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was very exciting to see it growing! Since my post the deer have attacked and chomped a lot of the leaves from the rootstock and scion, but both are coming back. I planted it out in the orchard with a hoop around it so it should be safer now. I haven't checked the two loquat grafts in a while but I think this cherry graft is the only one out of the 5 grafts that took. All the others have the root stock still growing and healthy, so I will try again later.

I used a t bark graft, I think. I don't know the names well. I gently cut the root stock with a horizontal line, then a vertical line down from the center of the horizontal line. Then I gently peeled back the bark enough so I could wedge the scion in there. The scion had a fresh cut made at an angle so the end result trunk should be mostly straight once the root stock is cut off above the graft later this fall. I bound the scion tightly to the rootstock holding the bark flaps closed over the scion, using cotton twine. Then I wrapped the grafted area and the entire length of scion with grafting tape.

I bought the scion this winter and the root stock last winter from the same place, Fruitwood Nursery. It's here on the west coast and the scions/cuttings I ordered arrived quickly. My goal was to get the root stock growing well and big, then graft. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the root stock into the ground yet, they are still in their pots, and most appear to be growing down through their pots.. It's going to be a challenge to move them without damaging them.

I am not 100% sure which root stock this graft is on, I need to do some process of elimination as most of the tags are very hard to read. I bought root stock for cherry, peach, and plum, among others. I am hoping I put the cherry scion onto the cherry root stock. I bought some metal tags to upgrade all the plant tags, it's on the to do list.
View attachment 18915

I started a thread for Fruit Tree Grafting thread and added a number resources from my studies. Wow it sure would be nice if you could participate. I need to learn.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gold Nugget
20220517_164715.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I mowed. Some of it beside the garden. Wasn't a lot of rain yesterday and today was half sunny so the ground drained and grass dried. It was just solid enough for me to get the truck back there to pull the mower out where I'd got stuck on flat ground. Rain is expected tonight and tomorrow. Take the chance when you get it here.

The low spot in the garden still looks soggy, but forecast this coming weekend is dry so I may get some tilling done on one side so I can plant.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
overcast, misting and cool today-will probably go out and do some weeding-glad I mowed yesterday. planted some more lettuce and spinach yesterday to get the second wave started, almost time to harvest some lettuce as it is about 3-4 inches long. SOMETHING has been eating my strawberry leaves (bunny or deer) so I got those beds covered this morning with hardware cloth until the berry netting comes tomorrow! Ugh! I have been picking off flowers and will continue until mid-july when I will let some berries form. potatoes are up-I have been covering with dirt/compost/mulched leaves as they have continued to grow and they have now reached the tops of their container (in ground ones aren't up yet) so I will let them just do their thing now

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those are blackberries????
Yes ma'am, it's a natural unweeded thicket about 30 foot wide and about 100 foot long of wild blackberries. There's also weeds to ofcourse. I'll take a close up picture and show you the blackberries. You would probably laugh at me, if I told you how it was planted.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸