What did you do in your garden today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
is the blue a black seeded variety? i have both a golden seed and a black seed, the black seed is a perennial and the golden seed is an annual. actually, i'm not sure i have any more black seeded ones around, but i hope i can find some eventually again. the golden flax i have plenty of seeds and so i should be ok with those.

we used to have a ton of the black seeded kind around and they were great, but they were not really a true perennial because they'd die off after a few years so they were not very easy to take care of and would get weeds growing in them. i think it would have been better to treat them as an annual and if i can find some of them growing and can get some seeds next year i'll do that for the future.

the scarlet flowered one i'll be interested in hearing how it does. :)
My Blue Flax is black seeded and is definitely a perennial. I just mowed it off or I would go grab some seeds.

Scarlet Flax
Scarlet_flax_X7146225_07-14-2021-001.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fretting over winter "just starting"......looking at seed that I don't need. But I did look at some where they wanted $5.95 a pkg that had TEN seed!! :oops: add p/h. Nothing special just big price. Not where I buy anyway but, if any of you are buying check out the sizes. What I am working on is way more seed saving this yr. Some things only produce in second year, so looking at how to save plants into that. They're the special ones. 😁 the seeds at harvest are no problems. Have a lot of those stocked from veggies I cleaned them out of.

These price increases are wicked and everywhere! Just another thing to consider.

Fertilizer.....use all you can from your livestock....already pd for. :old

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fretting over winter "just starting"......looking at seed that I don't need. But I did look at some where they wanted $5.95 a pkg that had TEN seed!! :oops: add p/h. Nothing special just big price.[...]

sadly i think it is just opportunists taking advantage of the idea of panic and shortages. just like back in the day when people took advantage of '49ers by selling them expensive shovels or other items that were needed. just feeding the frenzy until it moves on to some other thing/fad that will come along eventually.

if anyone feels short of seeds for gardening check out your local area for seed banks, seed libraries or other sources that may be available. perhaps even the local ag extension office might have something available or have more resources for your area.

in my case today i was at the library and took a quick look at the seed library there and it didn't look like too many items were being used so there is a free resource that is not being used much.

also on the way into town i saw a sign for some market that may have been more like a food pantry and on the way out of town i should have stopped but i didn't but i was going to do that and check it out and see if they needed any seeds. i have plenty of some that i could give them to pass out to people who were interested. i'm not sure how long they'll be there but we'll see if i can get there or not. i'm not really an out and about person so...