What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i'm horrified now. most fields around us are sprayed repeatedly - it smells like a chemical factory for a week and a half. :(

i have a dream of being rich enough to buy up all the land around us and turning it back to natural farming methods. weeds and rotational grazing and fallowing and ... *sigh*
Like you, I don't like it. But it's the current way of farming row crops.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH spent a lot of time in the garden the past several days. I planted spaghetti squash seeds on a row he indicated would be good. Yesterday he asked me to bring out the okra, green beans and the other squash seeds but I also brought out the English peas. Down here there is a saying that you only have one year doing good with English peas and you never get it again and I have had my one good year but I want to see if DH can have a year too.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I picked some Hollyhock seeds on Wednesday. I planted them the same day. I was surprised to see that they are already germinating today.
20220303_063359.jpg

They are from this.
Hollyhock_X9036351_09-03-2021-001.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm working on getting my tubs ready to plant. Every year I replenish the soil by adding some barn compost. That means I have to shovel about 2/3rds of what's already in the tubs out and then layer it back in with the compost. I get awesome production from those tubs so it must give them what they need. I'd also like to build a couple new raised beds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a craving for some radishes and crackers earlier. One of my favorite snacks. Went to the garden and pulled a radish. ONE! After I cleaned it up and trimmed it up I weighed it. It was a solid 8.5 ounces. It's as big as an apple, lol. This is my first year growing Watermelon Radishes and I've got to give them a hearty endorsement. As big as that radish is - it's delicious. No pithiness and no over the top spiciness. It's sweet, with a tiny hint of spice and as crispy as can be. I'll be planting more!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep those are the ones.
I ordered the Ozark Beauty Strawberries from farmer seed. They had bags of 25 plants for $9.99 or less if you buy more bags. They also provided a code for free shipping on $50.00 plus orders. So I ordered 6 bags or 150 plants. I went out and looked to today. I obviously forgot my rows will need to be 125 foot. So spacing around a foot should work nice for 150 plants. I've never ordered from farmer seed before that I can remember. So I don't know what to expect. We'll see if any good when they arrive.

Link... Really good prices from what I can tell.
https://www.farmerseed.com/product/ozark-beauty-strawberry

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸