What did you do in your garden today?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I collect mints. I love them. Only the catnip reseeds and takes over everywhere. Catmint is good as is the lemon balm. Ive tried to encourage the oil peppermint to spread but it's been all "i like this 3x4 area and will stay here". Most of the other mints are in pots. I have a dozen varieties. Have to repot every year but that's fine. They all spread rooting or rhizome.

Catnip spreads by lots of seeds everywhere. I pulled a ton out of the garden last year. The chickens hate it and won't walk through it. So I have to remove it from the pen. I counted one time I was pulling. 112 baby plants.

Only other thing Ive put in pots that tried to take over was oregano. I moved that pot to a very grassy area. Less seeds take root.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was going to try some raspberry cuttings this spring from the wild ones on our land and then yes with runners as my plants will be old enough to take from this year.

@CrealCritter I ended up ordering rhubarb (to add to my 3 plants), raspberries, plum tree, gooseberries, onions and peppers. :gig
Let's hope it's a good company.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For the strawberry bed/row I think I have a plan, maybe 🤔

I believe I'll hitch up the 2 bottom and double plow (one way then the other way) hopefully I can get the first plowing just deep enough to remove the sod, then the second plowing deep to loosen up the soil. Then hopefully I can flip the soil back over into the trench with the plow and that'll be my bed/row. Then I'll have to run the tiller to fluff up the soil. Then we'll plant the strawberries and mulch in with some old nasty hay rounds. I have a few nasty hay rounds, I think 6 or 7 waiting to become garden mulch. I'm sure it'll not go as planned but I'm gonna try anyways.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know a lot of folks mulch with old hay but be careful! Make sure that the hayfield wasn’t sprayed with herbicides.

you would hope that someone bailing up hay or making rounds would not spray it first. still good to ask. however, if someone was doing that and was being dishonest they could say they didn't and how would you know? arg... :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many fields are sprayed to get rid of weeds so the grasses livestock prefer (and are better for them) grow. I only buy from people I know, it seems to be more common in people that grow and market “horse hay”, I buy from old timey farmers that don’t spray.