What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have trouble with the paper bags but the year I used those plastic-y ones was horrible. they disintegrated into gazillions of tiny strings that I'm still picking up.
Yep the "plastic-y" ones are the ones I used. I learned my lesson, I created a huge mess that I had to clean up.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I started hardening off peppers Monday. They really need warmth and sun but it's been cool overcast and rainy. Probably a good thing though or else the could get sun scorched. I know some people say to harden them off slowly. Increase the hours they are outside a little each day. I just stick them in a semi shady spot and leave them be and water them a quart per tray when they are dry. I really think the wind plays a major role in hardening them off, just as much as sunlight does.

It's supposed to dip down to 29 degrees overnight Friday, according to the weather guessers. So I'll have to bring them inside for the night, but I'll stick them back outside Saturday morning. I've had to dump rain water out of the trays multiple times this week, it's not good for them to be in standing water either. Have some trays that I popped holes in but I can't find them, I didn't look real hard either.

IMG_20220406_215245689.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've had a couple light rains since my final work over of the ground. Today I just walked and picked up a couple handfuls of dead roots. Most were where I'd piled and raked. These had been in the sifted dirt...now rain washed. Rain tomorrow. Hope to put out rows of seed this weekend. 😊. Should be past frost by time they break ground.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some blackberry and goji berry cuttings that have sprouted leaves/roots in water over the last couple weeks. I need to get them in soil, my question is can I put them directly in the ground now or do I need to pot them and not put them outside later? our last frost date is end of April/beginning of May, but both are deemed hardy for our zone. I have done some research and watched some videos and there seems to be differing opinions. I just know I need to get them in dirt one way or another.

Looking ahead at our 10 day forecast looks like there are 2 days (this Thurs and Fri) that the temps get below 32 deg F at night, otherwise they are above freezing
Talk to.me about those goji berries. I've never had one, what are they like? Easy to grow? Can they be trained to grow on a wire? So many questions sorry...

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@CrealCritter the goji berries, I believe, are considered a shrub but I have read that you can teach them to trellis or grow along a fence. Depending on how much you trim they can grown 3-10 ft tall and 4 ft wide.

I believe they fall into the nightshade family. We tried them for the 1st time this past summer, fresh they are pretty bitter/sour but I dried them and to me they taste like a sour cherry but my oldest said they had more of a cherry tomato taste, I think depends on the person. My hope is to dry some, make some tea and jam. My friend freezes them but I haven't tried that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter the goji berries, I believe, are considered a shrub but I have read that you can teach them to trellis or grow along a fence. Depending on how much you trim they can grown 3-10 ft tall and 4 ft wide.

I believe they fall into the nightshade family. We tried them for the 1st time this past summer, fresh they are pretty bitter/sour but I dried them and to me they taste like a sour cherry but my oldest said they had more of a cherry tomato taste, I think depends on the person. My hope is to dry some, make some tea and jam. My friend freezes them but I haven't tried that.
They don't sound very good to eat

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

So kind of like Oregon grapes. Those are sour with an odd taste when eaten as picked. Hubby hates it. Add sugar for jam and they totally change.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have some blackberry and goji berry cuttings that have sprouted leaves/roots in water over the last couple weeks. I need to get them in soil, my question is can I put them directly in the ground now or do I need to pot them and not put them outside later?
Keep them in. If they were established outside they wouldn't be sprouting leaves yet.