What did you do in your garden today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Dreamz I see your garden plan....and know you gave a lot away last yr, as you don't eat a lot of what you grew. Soooo, are you growing more of what YOU EAT this year? Sure hope so. Gardens are a lot of work and the pleasure, beyond having it grow well, is in eating the fresh produce. 🥰 Hope you are.

I always want to grow everything in the catalog 🤣🤣 trying to rein myself in more to just things I'll eat. Extra space I really want to grow a few "winter animal treats". So, some extra winter squash, pumpkins, turnips in fall, herbs to dry (for me and them). Didn't do a fall garden 2022 and we had a mild winter which was ideal for one. Hope to do one this year. Less weeding then. 🤣👍

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sowed 50 foot rows of carrots, lettuce, beets and spinach.
IMG_20230301_171402933.jpg

Hoed a shallow trench, rolled out cheap single ply toilet paper and sowed the carrots. Easier to see those little tiny carrot seeds that are the same color as the soil, this way.
IMG_20230301_154342416.jpg

4 rows sowed, many more to go 👍

Thankful Almighty gave me a window. of dry enough soil to work and with no wind, to sow those little tiny seeds. and right before the thunder storms roll through... It's thundering off in the distance now.

Probably will sow flats of tomatoes this evening.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sowed 50 foot rows of carrots, lettuce, beets and spinach.
View attachment 22909

Hoed a shallow trench, rolled out cheap single ply toilet paper and sowed the carrots. Easier to see those little tiny carrot seeds that are the same color as the soil, this way.
View attachment 22910

4 rows sowed, many more to go 👍

Thankful Almighty gave me a window. of dry enough soil to work and with no wind, to sow those little tiny seeds. and right before the thunder storms roll through... It's thundering off in the distance now.

Probably will sow flats of tomatoes this evening.

Oh that looks like it works better than my idea of using the counter and sandwiching them between damp layers to put out in the garden.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that looks like it works better than my idea of using the counter and sandwiching them between damp layers to put out in the garden.
Mainly just so I could see I was sowing a straight line and under the baling twine. I find it easier to care for row crops, when they are in rows 😁

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday bought a bag of seed starter medium. Should get that working soon 🤫it's a start....barely beyond do nothing :lol: but, incentive. Have containers, seeds, etc. No excuse now. Maybe over weekend? Or one evening -- it's all inside👍

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having lived in drought for most of my adult life, its very very difficult to live here in Southern WA. It rains alot. This is our first winter here.

I can hardly walk down to the chicken coop due to mud on the slope of the hill. I certainly can't work in the garden down there! Its about 42 degrees plus or minus every day.

I don't know how the rest of you do this.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Having lived in drought for most of my adult life, its very very difficult to live here in Southern WA. It rains alot. This is our first winter here.

I can hardly walk down to the chicken coop due to mud on the slope of the hill. I certainly can't work in the garden down there! Its about 42 degrees plus or minus every day.

Maybe dig a trench, line it with straw in the low part of the garden for rain run off. You could berm the trench up during the summer/dry months. Additionally, you may even have to rake up hills to sow seeds and set out transplants. Just a few thoughts...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I grew up over on the east side of Oregon. Average annual rainfall is 9 inches there. Much of that is winter freezing rain or snow. Then I was stationed in Virginia Beach. Heavy rain from hurricane bands sucks.

The light rain we usually get here doesn't bother me. Trade off for hot summers. Ive also adapted Grandma's rule that there are field clothes and town clothes. Im resigned to the fact that my boots and lower legs will be muddy most of the year. I do put down straw in any spot that starts getting too muddy that needs to be dry dirt in summer. Stepping stones also help.

Knowing I can only sink a foot before hitting firm clay makes me never freak about getting stuck. So at least it's not like the time I fell in quicksand as a teen while hiking around Three Sisters in spring while visiting my Aunt at University. It was roughly 2x3 uneven spot with moss growing on it. Invisible. So there I am with one leg stuck in a wet hole and the other sideways on solid land and can't get leverage to get out. Both my Mom and Aunt had to pull because of the awkward angle so they didn't step in it. Spots like that aren't that uncommon in meadows that winter flood.

Edited because Mom corrected me that it was around Three Sisters and not in the Blue Mountains. We usually were in the Blues and those type of spots were common around Trout Meadow where we'd fish.

Last edited: