What did you do in your orchard today?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you go by the lies spread by the zone group, it is zone 5. I don't know anywhere in this state that is an actual zone 5. I have an email from Arbor Day where they admit it is not zone 5 but a very cold zone 4. When I buy based on zones, the ones that survive the winter here are the zone 2 and 3 ones. This past winter the temperature hit -40°F. The ground here normally thaws by mid March. This year it didn't start to thaw until mid April.

I had a couple of Reliance peaches make it through 3 winters. The last spring they had a few blooms and produced 2 peaches. I had forgotten how juicy tree ripened peaches were. I had also forgotten how fuzzy peaches used to be. The newer varieties are being produced for minimal fuzz. The following winter killed both trees.

The low temperature isn't the killer. The real killer is the January thaw followed by sub zero temps followed by the February thaw followed by sub zero temperatures.
Well, like you said,, at least you got a few this year, and I am sure you'll do what you can to winterize it but,,,
its all a " boy I hope it makes it"

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you go by the lies spread by the zone group, it is zone 5. I don't know anywhere in this state that is an actual zone 5. I have an email from Arbor Day where they admit it is not zone 5 but a very cold zone 4. When I buy based on zones, the ones that survive the winter here are the zone 2 and 3 ones. This past winter the temperature hit -40°F. The ground here normally thaws by mid March. This year it didn't start to thaw until mid April.

I had a couple of Reliance peaches make it through 3 winters. The last spring they had a few blooms and produced 2 peaches. I had forgotten how juicy tree ripened peaches were. I had also forgotten how fuzzy peaches used to be. The newer varieties are being produced for minimal fuzz. The following winter killed both trees.

The low temperature isn't the killer. The real killer is the January thaw followed by sub zero temps followed by the February thaw followed by sub zero temperatures.
you explain a very harsh environment for peaches / appricots. Let me have a look around and see if I can find a variety that may stand a chance for you. Reliance came to mind but there might be other more suitable varieties. is the main issue trunk splitting due to freeze thaw cycle, root stock die off due to freeze, blossom freeze or tip die off due to freeze? Maybe one or more of the above. there are frost proof (frost peach) varieties, but I haven't looked closely at those.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk

Have a closer look at the following peach varieties for zone 4. All 4 are said to be hardy to -20F -28C. You may have to take some extra precautions when you dip below the minimum temp. Maybe a tent of plastic might help? 🤷‍♂️ But you can research the best means.

Intrepid
Contender
Blushingstar
Reliance

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@R2elk

Have a closer look at the following peach varieties for zone 4. All 4 are said to be hardy to -20F -28C. You may have to take some extra precautions when you dip below the minimum temp. Maybe a tent of plastic might help? 🤷‍♂️ But you can research the best means.

Intrepid
Contender
Blushingstar
Reliance

@R2elk

Intrepid
Contender
Blushingstar
Reliance

I never use plastic. It traps moisture, used old bed sheets myself.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk also add these peach varieties to your research for zone 4

Flamin' Fury
Raritan Rose

there are literally 1000's of peach varieties but only a handful are said to be hardy into zone 4.

I'll reply back after I research rootstocks and determine the best ones for zone 4. That way you can give them a better chance with cold hardy feet.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk

Research Lovell peach rootstock - it's said good for zones 4-9. But only you would know if it's characteristics are good for your environment.

The rest of my rootstock research came up dry for zone 4. There may be other rootstocks that are hardy into zone 4, but I didn't find any.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk

Intrepid
Contender
Blushingstar
Reliance

Problem is we are not a -20°F area. We routinely are -30°F and last winter was -40°F.

Even if a tree makes it through the winter, it takes an unusually mild spring to produce fruit. I have a prune type plum that does okay in town but I have gone 20 years between times when they fruited here. I have apricots that survive fine but have only produced fruit one year.

I have a peach tree in the garden that survived 5 winter but the voles girdled it this past winter. It came back from the roots but not very strongly because the grape vines have completely covered it. It came up from a peach seed buried with kitchen scraps in the garden.

I have two new volunteer peach seedlings this year in the garden. If they survive the winter they will get transplanted elsewhere.

I have been at it for over 30 years here. If it would have a chance to grow here, I have tried it.

If it can't survive on its own I am not going to use extraordinary means to keep it alive especially since keeping it alive does not necessarily equal producing fruit.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you explain a very harsh environment for peaches / appricots. Let me have a look around and see if I can find a variety that may stand a chance for you. Reliance came to mind but there might be other more suitable varieties. is the main issue trunk splitting due to freeze thaw cycle, root stock die off due to freeze, blossom freeze or tip die off due to freeze? Maybe one or more of the above. there are frost proof (frost peach) varieties, but I haven't looked closely at those.

It's a very harsh environment for anything. I lost mature Russian elms when we had -27°F the second week of November followed by a January thaw followed by -20°F temps followed by a February thaw that was followed by more -20°F temps.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk

Research Lovell peach rootstock - it's said good for zones 4-9. But only you would know if it's characteristics are good for your environment.

The rest of my rootstock research came up dry for zone 4. There may be other rootstocks that are hardy into zone 4, but I didn't find any.

A neighbor had a plum on Lovell peach root stock. The plum froze off and the roots sent up a new tree which was a peach tree. He got one small peach before it froze off too.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A neighbor had a plum on Lovell peach root stock. The plum froze off and the roots sent up a new tree which was a peach tree. He got one small peach before it froze off too.

Lovell seems to be a good peach rootstock, it's been around for a long time. Lovell also produces peaches but I'm told they are more for canning than eating fresh out of hand.

-40 degrees wow, that's brutal, I couldn't imagine. if you ever do get a decent peach producer year after year it might be something new for local area. Does anyone in your local area have a constant producing peach that you could harvest scionwood from? that might be another option?

Latest posts