What did you do to be/become more self-reliant today?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've got seeds! :D My little pepper delivered about 10 nice looking seeds! I'm going to let them dry out and I suppose I better go buy that compost at some point…. I have nothing spare at the moment.

@CJ1 plants and seeds don't always do what they're supposed to. I suspect yours is waiting to see what the weather's going to get up to, before getting too enthusiastic about growing?

Reactions: CJ1

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope so anyway. Only time will tell what's gonna happen.

Anyway. Back to the topic of the thread. I volunteered for 8 hours of double time on Sunday.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love my neighbour! Seriously, I adore that man :love He's using the empty plot between us as dumping ground and my word the stuff that went on that pile? So far we got:
A 6 ft stepladder,
misc tools including a hedge cutter,
assorted pots for plants,
a lovely metal bucket in perfect nick,
fold up chairs in good condition and today….
a pile of strawberry plants! :)

Waiting for the hardware store to reopen after lunch and then I'm off to get more compost. DS and a friend is rescuing the plants and bringing them over for replanting.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Too hard sometimes. My next biweekly check will have 185 hours on it. 16 of which will be Sunday hours.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like your neighbor is pretty wasteful. Or he knows you're going to make good use of the stuff. Either way. Score for you.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:th That is crazy… Wish I had your energy, really I do!

Many of the people here are wasteful like that. We've seen some pretty cool stuff dumped, thrown out and abandoned. Including cars, yep cars… Coming from Africa I find that a bit mind-boggling still.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish I had my energy too. Lol

I've been working extra hours like that since I was 19. I'm exhausted and have to eat constantly to keep my weight up. When I first started working those kinds of hours I dropped down to 80 pounds. But I tweaked my diet and increased my caloric intake and I've finally leveled off at 115.

It'll all be worth it though when I'm able to quit working a job and start living off our land.

My guy works insane hours too. But he's doing it so with the land and once his bar is done and all ready we can just do those two things and live life finally. Hopefully only two more years. Maybe three depending on how things go.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Best of luck and look after yourself in-between!

Reactions: CJ1

Latest posts