What did you do to save $ today?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I bought a 4 gallon jug of water today. This place wasn't the cheapest, but they don't charge a deposit on the jug, so I saved about 7 bucks on the jug. I really needed the jug, so that's a blessing.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I bought a 4 gallon jug of water today. This place wasn't the cheapest, but they don't charge a deposit on the jug, so I saved about 7 bucks on the jug. I really needed the jug, so that's a blessing.
THANK YOU! That reminds me I need to go to the spring and fill up all my jugs with some tasty water! We have a spring that gets tested by the city every year and always is better water than from the tap, pure clean, natural lovely goodness! I need to go collect some, and it's FREE for the taking. :) I may do that tomorrow ;)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We've been giving the neighbor greens for his chickens from our field and he gives us stuff he comes across that we could use.

He brougth me a brand new pair of jeans, my size that had some dirt on them. They came out perfectly clean when I washed them. I now have a good pair of jeans again. :ya

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am waiting an hour to go grocery shopping at the 24-hour grocery. Seriously, the sale is worth it. (So is having milk for Sunday pancake breakfast, and not having to deal with Christmas crowds).

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I made gifts for coworkers for tomorrows party rather than buy them things they probably wouldn't use or like because I don't know them very well. Also sending homemade gifts to my family this year.

Last week got our featherbed at less than 50% of the cheapest place we could find online by waiting until we found one we liked at shopgoodwill.com.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I spent absolute piles of money today on food--went to Trader Joe's, Woodman's and Sam's Club in the same day. Mega, mega bucks. But, we rarely shop from about May through Dec, as the garden is giving us a lot of what we need (and we get dairy, eggs and flour here or barter for it). But, now I finally needed to stock up on tons of herbs and spices, dried fruit, nuts, cheese, etc. Yikes!

As for saving money, I gave my sis 5 hours today of helping her paint and clean. Plus she got homemade biscotti, soap, lip balm, and other homemade stuff she loves.

philpatton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This week I picked up containers of table salt for .39 a container along with some jars of honey from Big Lots and put them in storage. I also hit a sale of Folgerss coffee for $6.50 in a 2 pound container and picked up enough for a year. Then I bought sugar and vacuum sealed it for my monthly buckets.

I also vacuum sealed over 300 individual servings of oats with a tea bag, cappuccino mix or hot cocoa and packs of sugar for my weekly buckets. These will be vacuum sealed into daily rations that I will vacuum seal. Like a home made MRE.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I knew that sale was a good one. Spent about $60, saved about $22. :D I saved more than that too because I picked up some things that are cheaper at WalMart at WalMart.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I made a christmas tree for SO. Since we rarely go out to shop, we didn't come across any really cheap trees this year, so far. We only budgeted $10 for a tree. SO was getting depressed about not having a tree and the lights and all, even though I did decorate the house.

Here is the "tree" I made

5024_100_9400.jpg

5024_100_9403.jpg

I used three bamboo poles from the garden, tied them together at the top and then wrapped lights around and around and up the middle. Then I used colored glass balls and some of our simpler paper and straw decorations.

It was a bit difficult keeping the bottom stable and the lower legs spread apart. SO thought to wedge a ball into the upper part and I realized later that I should have attached sticks on the bottom to provide more stability.

This put a big smile on SO's face and it is nice to see him so happy. A friend who saw it last night, thought it looked really cool too.

It is kind of an artsy interpretation of a Christmas tree. It provides the right mood and that is the most important part.

You can see our bagged dried amaranth in the back. :lol: If we don't keep it in the house, it gets damp and the rats or mice get it.
I'll be feeding some of those to the goats and the rabbit later.