What did you do to save $ today?

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been buying peach, or strawberry yogurt, frozen mixed fruit and some fresh fruit at the grocery store and making fruit smoothies at home instead of going to the dairy queen or McDonalds for ice cream.. They aren't as sugary as the ice cream and better for hubby's type 2 diabeties.. When it's 100 plus degress they sure cool ya down too..

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
I have been buying peach, or strawberry yogurt, frozen mixed fruit and some fresh fruit at the grocery store and making fruit smoothies at home instead of going to the dairy queen or McDonalds for ice cream.. They aren't as sugary as the ice cream and better for hubby's type 2 diabeties.. When it's 100 plus degress they sure cool ya down too..
You can save even more by buying the quart of plain yogurt instead of the flavored ones, since you are adding fruit anyways. Then use whatever sweetener you prefer (I like stevia drops.) The flavored yogurts have a LOT of sugar in them and often have other chemical flavorings, colorings, and preservatives. You can still find plain yogurt that is just cultured milk.....it is getting more challenging to find, but it is still out there.

If you want to kick the savings up another notch....you can save the last half cup or so of that plain yogurt and make a gallon of yogurt for the price of a gallon of milk.....the only skill needed to make yogurt is the ability to read a thermometer! Freshly made yogurt keeps for a very long time in the fridge as long as no one double-dips.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Going to buy 30 pounds of chicken thighs to can on Monday (at 44 cents a pound). I know that once I pull of the skin and fat, there won't be 30 pounds but still will make countless meals for dh and I (used in casseroles and such). Will boil the skin and fat with water to make broth to put over the dog food for our pups. Also saved the seeds from some grapes growing here in the park. That's all for now!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I had about 1/2 hour to kill before milking the goat and all othr animal/outside chores were done. I decided to grab sveral small containers and gather seeds. We often let plants go to seed. I gathered cilantro/coriander, beet, swiss chard, garlic, peas. Earlier I packaged and labeled seeds I hd gathered a week ago: parsley, red cabbage and millet.
s I harvest our fruit of the garden, I save the seed from the best. I scoop it out and place it on a paper towel to dry. I immediately label the paper towel, so I know exactly what kind of seed it is. If I get rushed later in the fall, I can just grab the paper towel and put it in a baggy, since it is already labeled.
The labels state whatever I want, so I can identify the seed. For instance, I have a package sitting on my desk. It reads: Red Apple, Pine Hill Road, 2010. I know this is seed from the apple tree above my parents house that we discovered last year.

I love using our own seed or seed I got from friends and family an seeing how it turns out. Usually our own seeds do better for us.
Thank you for explaining how you organize this. I love the concept of saving seeds but usually have little unmarked baggies and unless I can identify the seeds by what they are, I get confused by the following year when I want to plant. But during the drying stage is where the confusion happens, I never thought to write on a paper towel!

*SD goes off to save seeds, carrying her PT roll and sharpie marker......*

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
"What did you do to save $ today?"

NOTHING.

Money wise, this summer has been like pouring piss out of a boot!!
Wife had both feet operated on.
Oldest Lab tore her ACL about the time the wife had her FIRST surgery.
Found the roof over the back porch was bad(it was just replaced 5 years ago)
Found the conduit that supplies the power to my shop had a leak and had to be dug up/replaced.
BOTH sump pumps failed.
While replacing the sump pumps, I dropped my cell phone into the pit, requiring a replacement phone.
Had to replace the deck on the back of the house, and while we were at it, we decided to add a Gazebo.
Also during the deck replacement, The Wife decided she wanted me to build a new brick paver patio WITH a fire pit.

I am just about DONE for the year!!!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bought a Sodastream machine, on sale, and another $10 off coupon. Now I can make the sparkling water DH lives on for 1/4 the cost. And make flavored sodas when DS wants some, for way cheaper than buying it at the grocery, even on sale.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Installed two kitchen cabinets ourselves, and sold the old dishwasher that was there for 30 dollars.

bought 50 peices of aluminum gutter covers at garage sale for a dollar. saved mucho bucks there.

Now if chicken feed would rain down from the sky,....

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
processed 3 roosters (first time experience) GREAT skinned the last one in 15 minutes...great in for on top of meate ETC thread on Backyard chicken...