moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I don't prepare actually :p

I go super basic and it has been fresh and delish all thru winter

shuck corn, stick into freezer bags and freeze

I do nothing else at all.
Ahh..cool. I like your method. I thought they had to be blanched or something.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
some people do that, others leave in husk, ah, so many ways but I got super simple. I hate extra work LOL

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
some people do that, others leave in husk, ah, so many ways but I got super simple. I hate extra work LOL
Seems like most of the ears that grew last summer...had big fat corn woms in them. The chickens loved them. They got every one I found. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
worms don't stop me. We just hack off the tip if mushy and I cut away nasty parts if needed and into the freezer they go.
some of my cobs are ugly but still delish LOL

I make my own niblet cobs sometimes. If I have to cut both ends and just get that super small cob it goes great with BBQs.

but sure, those darn chickens will eat you if they get the chance...they are great disposal units! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOO HOO
my mother in law, who sold my dog kennel for $150 a few weeks ago......just sold my kids playhouse. One of those young kids plastic toyhouses. $90. Happy and thrilled to get that!!!!!

my MIL can sell the world! I love that!!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
worms don't stop me. We just hack off the tip if mushy and I cut away nasty parts if needed and into the freezer they go.
some of my cobs are ugly but still delish LOL

I make my own niblet cobs sometimes. If I have to cut both ends and just get that super small cob it goes great with BBQs.

but sure, those darn chickens will eat you if they get the chance...they are great disposal units! :)
They are great for the chickens. The little worm eaten tips of the corn cob, along with the worm. I will def do the freezer thing next summer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for some reason tequila comes to mind. put that worm corn tip in water and you gave the chickens a shot of 'chicken tequila'

I don't know LOL but the picture in my mind seems funny :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Got this wedding dress (in a different color) for $12.50 at Goodwill!! I bought 2 spools of ribbon for $2, tulle for $4, and using an old headband to make a veil. Not done, but going to be very pretty. I will have a friend help me alter the dress for $0.

dress by tortoise11, on Flickr

:weee

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wow! That's gorgeous!

Despite bitter cold, I'm still harvesting from the garden. Brought 1 enormous bowl coleslaw, 1 pan roasted beets, 1 enormous bowl of lettuce salad and squash rolls for an approximate cost of $3 to the family Thanksgiving.

Tonight made Italian sausage soup with our own pork sausage, spinach, tomatoes, garlic and zucchini, plus boughten rehydrated white beans, for an approximate cost of $1 (3 meals).

Harvested approximately 9 gallons of gorgeous spinach for $0 and lots of eating/freezing pleasure! Tomorrow it's the last of the beets, celeriac, chard and kale...