What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow Gals for being in WI you sure are doing well from the garden.

Aren't you under snow yet? WI seems so north and so cold to me way down here.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tortoise, that gown is just beautiful! What a score at $12.50!!

Meandgals, I can't believe you're still getting so much from your garden! Mine was toast a while back. :/ I think I'll make that Italian sausage soup for tonight. Sounds really good. I bought some 'italian sausage' from the local market, but it ended up tasting like ground pork and seasoning, not like sausage, you know? I have one package left in the freezer and I bet it'd be good in the soup.

The plan of the moment is to paint a room today. I have several cans of mis-mixed paint, all in varying shades of the same color, all cost $5 each. I'll mix them together in a 5 gallon pail, then save some in a labeled can (as to which room has that color). Then I use what's left to add to another bucket of paint if I need it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ut oh Chaney, farther up north means it will get to you soon probably.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do ya love painting Marianne? I do. Painting rooms is the one thing I love to do and do it great. Paint is the simplest way to change a room and add character! Hubby despises painting, me, let me have at it!

What color are you painting today?

My next paint project is the kitchen. YELLOW. yup going wild.
I had planned on doing it LONG ago but it just kept getting away from me.
Feb. I think is my total down time mostly. Good time for that project.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Do ya love painting Marianne? I do. Painting rooms is the one thing I love to do and do it great. Paint is the simplest way to change a room and add character! Hubby despises painting, me, let me have at it!

What color are you painting today?

My next paint project is the kitchen. YELLOW. yup going wild.
I had planned on doing it LONG ago but it just kept getting away from me.
Feb. I think is my total down time mostly. Good time for that project.
I'm a bright color person for the most part. We have no door or frame coming out of this room into the hallway, so it has to be a color that I can blend in with what will be in the hall. Sounds confusing, huh. We have an arch with rounded corners, so no place to end colors except for a corner.

Okay, that's the long version. :lol: I'm definitely not a basic beige person, but that's pretty much what the bulk of this room will be...maybe. After I posted last time, I thought I should finish up the touch up doping in the hallway, get it primed and then paint both at the same time.

I used to like to paint...until we built the house. Now it's tedious. I'm pretty tired of construction. I have to remind myself that it's not getting done just thinkin' about it. :lol: I'm quite ready for some creative things in other areas!

My dining room is yellow! Again because of the arches, the kitchen will be yellow, too. I did a light sponging of white on the high spots (it's got a hand plastered stucco finish on the drywall) and then rubbed in a brown paint wash over all. Love it! As the light in the room changes, it looks more peach than yellow. I rarely do white ceilings, most of the time I paint them either the same color as the walls, or a shade or two lighter.

And that's the longer version!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh you have to be careful because of the flow. I am more lucky my rooms kinda start and end. So I can do a bit of contrast without making the eyes go :ep

that sponging sounds nice. I am not good at that. I tried once and it looked like a dying artist on crack. I am always worried of those 'techniques' I can't seem to master.

I am getting more into color now also. I want bright. Bright makes me smile and gosh darn I want that.

yea too much painting is a pain. when new and fun it is a nice change. You have alot of stuff to handle.
Renovations thru the entire house is hard!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow Gals for being in WI you sure are doing well from the garden.

Aren't you under snow yet? WI seems so north and so cold to me way down here.
We had about 5 days of total snow coverage, and still the beets, lettuce, spinach, kale, chard and celery keep on going! It's amazing, but once it's steadily frozen and in the teens at night, they will bite the dust.

I hate painting around trim, but we built a house 8 years ago and I had the joy of painting before any woodwork went up. Our old house was all cream/white, so I was delighted to go crazy with color in our new house!

son's room: sky blue
daughter's room: light yellow
our room: oolong tea
halls/bath: sage green
kitchen: deep red beneath, then crackled lighter red on top to crack and show deep below.

The rest is boxcar siding in pine. I so, so love the warmth that comes from color!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
that sponging sounds nice. I am not good at that. I tried once and it looked like a dying artist on crack. I am always worried of those 'techniques' I can't seem to master.
Actually, it isn't that hard with the right attachments for the roller. There is a kit called Wall Magic that I LOVE. The initial kit costs about $25.00, but if you are smart, it lasts a LONG time, I still have mine and the original rollers. Sounds crazy, but the paint pan is split in 2, so on one side you put a darker color, and other the other side a lighter shade, and then dip the split roller in, and then just roll straight on the wall. It sounds crazy, but I swear it can make your room look like a million bucks!!! AND you don't have to do near so many coats or anything like that. I did our living room in our old house in a strong yellow ochre color with a lighter shade of yellow. Walls, ceiling, everything. Trim was a light tan color. It looked awesomely tuscan before I put all my normal crap back in it, LOL.
Someday I'll get to have fun and paint again. I can't do it in this house....

That was off topic, so I should get back to topic..... My other half is at home recovering from surgery, so he's posting some of our stuff that we need to get rid of on CL today. Yay for a few bucks coming in and some other stuff going OUT!

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am in need of a new coffee maker. I have really wanted a Keurig, but no way was I spending that kind of money on a coffee maker. I frequently get "statements" from my debit/credit card rewards program, but generally ignore them. I decided to check it out just incase I could find something decent for a Christmas present for my family.....to my amazement I had enough points to get a Keurig coffee maker that comes with a bunch of the little coffee packets plus another box of the coffees! WooHoo!! I guess it pays to ignore those statements for like 3-1/2 years :) I know the little coffee packets are pricey, but you can get an insert so you can use your own ground coffee. I plan to also tell around that I am getting the machine incase anyone wants to get me coffee for Christmas, wink,wink!!