What did you do to save $ today?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bought duck eggs at the auction for $2.25, hatched out 8 pekin ducklings. Considering that I'm selling off the rest of the chicks to cover the cost of eggs, gas, etc, these guys will be basically free (or if you want to be specific, they were $0.28/duckling). I'd have paid $12 at the least online for pekin eggs, which if I had the same hatch rate, would've cost me $1.50/duckling.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Let someone else pay for my ice cream cone. :D Got gas in the bike at a place where the highest grade (which is what my bike needs) is 6 cents off on Tuesdays.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
Stayed home read a book on beer making.
Sounds like a wonderful day to me! :thumbsup

The store my Mom works at is having a meat sale on Thursday and Friday. We looked at the list this past Saturday and put in an order for 10 lbs. of bacon for $17.99 and a 10-12 lb pork loin for $1.89.

Got a call from Mom today and she let me know that the store butcher let her pick out our meat today and he hooked her up with a better deal on our pork loin...got it for $1.59 a lb! :D

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We picked up a truck load of free compost from the city transfer station. Going back tomorrow for mulch. They have it set up where compost and mulch are free for residents just need proof of residence.:D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We ate an almost storebought free dinner! What wasn't homegrown was bought in bulk :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
We picked up a truck load of free compost from the city transfer station. Going back tomorrow for mulch. They have it set up where compost and mulch are free for residents just need proof of residence.:D
We have something similar. You have to shovel it into your own containers. They drop off at the local parks, but we don't get mulch. Still... I filled the back of my car 5 times now (just grabbed another load today) for $1.85 per load (gas money). It'd have cost me over $100 to buy it. :) So, savings of over $90.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I gave the horses their shots today. Buying them myself instead of having the vet do them saved me a bunch of money.