What did you do to save $ today?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I can't do that w/my shoes. I need the toes intact around the horses.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hear ya on that one Deb. Mini horses are not nearly as hard on my feet as my full-size horses were!

Not running any A/C or heat right now (except for the hot tub heater) so we're saving gobs of money on the electricity bill.

Haven't bought groceries for a month either - but that's about to change!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Now, once I get Honey out of my field, I just might be able to do it! She's the only one that normally steps on me and she's the heaviest!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Two days ago, it was getting cold enough to need to heat the house, but I had some stuff left to can up, so instead of turning the heat on, I just got on the canning, which heated up my house as a "by-product". Two birds, one stone, money saved. :D

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'll do the same thing. Or, I'll bake something so I have to use the oven. :D

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My struggle continues, but I haven't given up. Only put $10 in the collection Sunday, and then needed 3 gallons of milk which costed me over $14, but so far thats all that I've used since left with the $54, so I"m down to $30.
Well, I straightened up the pantry. I will be feeding the chickens many Lbs of my deceased grandmother's canned okra which are years old....thus saving on feed, giving chickens a green treat and preparing jars for me....
I have a stockpile of pork n beans from my coupon crazy sister, she gave me a few weeks ago, when I bought some of her stuff (which that was a huge savings then), so we opened 4 cans of them today for a soup, with 2 pieces of left-over sausage from a church dinner (thank God I had already paid for it from last payday) and 4 hotdogs and some spagetti (a dish my mom used to make when I was little).
I had woke up fairly early this morning and put the mail out (with all those bills that set me back so much), went to Momma's house to borrow her pecan cracker because I have about 3 gallons of nuts from my grandparent's pantry (better picked and in my freezer, able to go into cakes, candies, etc than taking up room in the pantry). Then checked the trap....something tripped it and pulled it in the middle of our path. Went to my brother's to get some firelogs he split for me. Have no idea why he feels he needs to look out for me.....maybe cuz of DH's heart attack...IDK.
Its nice to see what food I have to choose from. Think I might cook the ducks tomorrow and then kill more for Thanksgiving.....maybe just one. Its not like I don't have 6 more to kill anyway. I think people should do this at least for a week, every year, even when they don't have an emergency.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fixed a lamp, rather than replced it:

4407_lamp_socket.jpg

It had a switch/socket part that had seized up until it no longer turned on - bulb couldn't be lit. I got a $5 socket and replaced the burnt-out one. A replacement lamp would have cost $20. (By the way, these are Canadian prices.) Lamp now works like new.

Tools required were just a pair of regular pliers, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and a screwdriver.

It would have been even cheaper I guess not to burn the original socket out. :p The socket is part of the lamp that I use at my bench vise in the shop, and I frequently use an acetylene torch to heat things in that vise. I believe the air temperature rising up from a 6000* flame contributed to the socket burning out in about a year of use. In future, I'll try to situate the lamp shade & bulb over to one side, hence save the new socket!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce, you need a hug. :hugs I have been there too and tough times really have a way of letting you concentrate on what is really important. God Bless you.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Thanx. I'm fine. The numbers just weren't nice to me this time. I'm going to have to tap into my extra $, but determined to keep things at a minimum. It looks like lately, things are getting tighter and tighter. Thats why I feel we should all do this sometimes. When I get paid next week, I'm hoping I'll be much better. My checking acct is kept really funny. I add and subtract incorrectly, for safety reasons, so I always have a cushion. Plus I pretend I have a huge service charge, especially if I'm trying to save for something. Right now I've tapped into my extra about $24 dollars, because I really wanted to make a vegetable and beef soup and didn't have the beef and a few of the vegs. But at the rate I'm going, I will be happy with myself by the time my deposit comes in.
Well, today I saved $ by stirfrying the leftover duck meat with mushrooms, bell peppers and serving over rice. All duck meat is completely consumed (well from that drake anyway).
Uncle called and had some hay and pumpkins to get rid of, now that Holloween was over....a display in the front yard I think, so now I have hay, which I can always use for a variety of things and when I get off tomorrow, I'll start smothering the pumpkins. Yummy. He had one rotten pumpkin, but the chickens didn't mind, so I gave Uncle 2 dozen eggs for his troubles. Hope he likes it.

Latest posts