What did you do to save $ today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We're looking at a buy a farmhouse on 40 acres - have not made an offer - so I've been thinking about making our city ranch house look appealing to buyers. On the cheap, of course!

I made placemats out of muslin (from my stash), leftover tinted polyurethane, and leftover wall paint. I need to figure out how to make some faux flowers or maybe find some pretty twigs to put in a vase and the table setting will be done with $0 spent.

I used nylon webbing (from my stash), a staple gun, and old clothespins to hang my fiance's baseball caps on a closet wall - freeing up 2.5 feet of shelf space. Cost $0.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am making seed starting pots with newsprint, and an old phonebook instead of buying the plastic trays. Since I will need a few thousand of these this year, it's going to save me a ton of money. The pot maker was only $10 :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It was so nice out that I rode my motorcycle out to the farm. And, I'll be able to ride tomorrow and Saturday as well! :weee

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Started our own spring garden plants, under a grow light. We usually can spend about 50 dollars for our plants....seeds are much cheaper.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Started our own spring garden plants, under a grow light. We usually can spend about 50 dollars for our plants....seeds are much cheaper.
I started growing all of my own plants from "scratch" years ago.. and buying only heirloom seeds so that I can keep them from year to year.. but silly me.. I think I don't save as much as I'd like.. cuz every year I find that I still buy more seeds cuz that purple tomato or that new wax pole bean looks intriguing or those squash are cool and then the round heirloom zucchini that I saw.. and well..... I think you get the picture.. lol :th and of course I just got three packets of seeds that I hadn't seen before and they are OP(if not heirloom) already!:lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
rhoda_bruce said:
I started growing all of my own plants from "scratch" years ago.. and buying only heirloom seeds so that I can keep them from year to year.. but silly me.. I think I don't save as much as I'd like.. cuz every year I find that I still buy more seeds cuz that purple tomato or that new wax pole bean looks intriguing or those squash are cool and then the round heirloom zucchini that I saw.. and well..... I think you get the picture.. lol :th and of course I just got three packets of seeds that I hadn't seen before and they are OP(if not heirloom) already!:lol:
Do you really have a wax pole bean? I've been looking for seed for ages. Can you give me names of the bean, and the company where you got it? Thanks.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I got 3 papers for the coupons. We will save about $40 off of the coupons in this weeks paper. Usually I don't even bother getting one!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My neighbor was cutting up some deer for friends and I had him toss the bones to my dog.... she'll spend a week gnawing on those meaty bones and ignore her food for awhile. That'll save me a couple of bucks.