What did you do to save $ today?

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
scrambled 18 eggs (dirty after rain) for chickens - gave chickens 2 gallons cows milk - first cooled and removed cream...made a pound of fresh butter with cream saved..froze buttermilk..

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll be boiling a bunch of eggs for the dogs and chickens this morning. I don't even mind if I don't sell 'em and they back up a bit, cuz the critters love 'em and it saves me money on the feed bill too.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We had a covered dish dinner at church today. I took deviled eggs. Nice and cheap! And, everyone loved them. They went quickly.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I also bring all our own things for potlucks :) This weekend it was cornbread with our blue Hopi corn and our own wheat, plus applesauce from wild apples in the bluffs. Packed breakfast and lunch for work today.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Just found out that we CAN get real cable where we are living now!! :celebrate
This may not seem like a way to save money, but...... we're getting the "triple play" package from Verizon, which is TV, Phone and internet. We don't really need the home phone, but it will keep the cost lower to include it than not, so we are. It has unlimited long distance, so that will be advantageous anyway. All of that is going to cost us only a few dollars more than our current DirecTV bill. We'll be saving the $70.00/month that it currently costs us to add a cellular hot spot to our phones. We are getting charged a termination fee from DirecTV, but we're also getting a $100.00 visa prepaid gift card for signing up with Verizon, so that will be advantageous to apply towards the termination fee to help reduce that. As it stands, the termination fee will be covered in the savings in 2 months, so it will pay for itself quickly!
SO excited to have REAL internet and not have to worry about how much I upload or download every month!!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cool beans, hqueen!

My money saving thing lately is fermenting stuff. On my countertops (yes! I have a REAL kitchen now!!) I currently have the following fermenting or doing it's thang:

Friendship bread starter, that's slowing becoming more sour dough-ish as I feed it less sugar as time goes on. You don't have to add a cup, a cup, etc. Just feed it a tablespoon of flour or sugar, add some milk once in a while. I have had this starter for months, some have had theirs for years. I use it when I make regular bread now.

Quart of Heritage Yogurt
Pint of sour cream

2 qts of cabbage and veggies - one with salt brine, the other with whey to see which I like better.

1/2 gal of kefir
1/2 gal jar of water to let the chlorine dissipate
1/2 gal jar of kefir with grape juice in it - this time I'm going to let it get fizzy!! Usually I start chugging it down right away.
1/2 gal jar of fermented lemonade

You need to keep at least three feet between yeast growing jars and friendly bacteria jars or they'll cross (so I read).

I use 1/3 of a can of juice to add to the 1/2 gal jar of kefir. I'm using the shelf stable juice concentrate, looks like a pop can. I freeze the two remaining amounts and thaw as needed. Tastes great, big ol' boost of vitamins, too. Instead of making 48 ounces, I get a gallon and a half (192 ounces) from that can of juice.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks, Marianne!

Can you post your recipe for the cabbage and fermenting stuff? I found a recipe somewhere, and now I can't find it again... I'd like to start fermenting things, but I'm just a little nervous learning about it. I don't want to make things I don't like to eat either, and I have picky eaters in this house!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Since I opened the seeded area, I'm using a lot less hay, so that's saving money! And, I'll be selling what RBs I don't need since they got a bit wet. So, that will be a big help as well!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
To save money today: I accepted the offer, emailed to me by a friend who lives down the road, of a couple of small trays of hot-pepper seedlings. I've already started bell peppers and jalapenos, and ordinarily consider seed starting for common garden veggies, herbs, and such to be our own responsibility - but the generous freebie saves a few bucks in purchasing seeds. We're happy.