What did you do to save $ today?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My best tip for saving money is don't go shopping. Sounds stupid but it works for us. I try to limit my grocery shopping to two or three trips a month, and trips to Target (for shampoo etc.) once a month or once every six weeks.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I went to town and donated plasma. Made $35. Then when I go to the grocery store I always spend less than I made. I bought dried peas and made a large pot of pea soup with a lovely ham bone my niece keeps for me. She never reuses those things and I live less than a mile away. Used all veggies from the garden.
Still dehydrating apples (3 .. 5gallon buckets) that were given to me. Also only went to town one time. :)

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made bread too, 2 loaves! I also kept the thermostat low, 60 degrees, even though I was a bit cold this morning. Once the oven got going for the bread though, I warmed right up. Also, my hubby and I resisted the urge to get in the car and go anywhere, so no gas used.

Sparks wrote: Today I went to town and donated plasma. Made $35.
Sparks, I've never heard of this! What does this involve? Is that the same as donating blood?

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
annmarie said:
I made bread too, 2 loaves! I also kept the thermostat low, 60 degrees, even though I was a bit cold this morning. Once the oven got going for the bread though, I warmed right up. Also, my hubby and I resisted the urge to get in the car and go anywhere, so no gas used.

Sparks wrote: Today I went to town and donated plasma. Made $35.
Sparks, I've never heard of this! What does this involve? Is that the same as donating blood?
I used to do this when I lived on the streets of San Diego years ago....embarrassed to admit it now, cause I mostly did it for the money for smokes and a little food. I also used to eat at the Hare Krishna temple, and places like that...I didnt know they still paid for plasma...I've donated in recent years where I live, but my blood doesnt come out right, they cant get enough out before it starts to coagulate...pretty frustrating cause I have a blood type they like to have...
Tina/tfpets

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't usually shop at Walgreens but in an effort to save/get for free, I went. I combined flyer coupons with manufacturer coupons and did well. Next stop is Harris Teeter for triple coupons sales.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm so proud of myself- I can build sheds, birth animals, give anything moving slower than lightening a shot, do plumbing, can, garden,etc but I have a fear of anything that is faintly electrical.
I bought my computer well used from a friend's aunt years ago. It is slow and has limited memeory but does fine for me.
Anyway it came with a mouse that was slow and jerky to move and sometimes wouldn't move at all unless I shook it. So I bought another one- which I dropped and broke to pieces last week. I dug out the old one and have been dealing with the frustration til I could make it to a store to get another.
I just occured to me as I'm waiting for slow dial up to proceed that the roller ball looked peculiar. I took it out and it looked funny- I took it out and washed it- voila it's working perfectly.
:weee Don't have to spend a dime on a new one.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Annmarie....We have a plasma center here. You can donate twice a week. $20 for first donation and $35 for the second of the week. On your 6th donation you earn $20 more so that one is $55!!. I start doing it in the fall and usually use that $ for gifts. I work @ a hospital so I see the need for it every day. They use a good sized needle so not for the needle- phob. It takes me about 40 min. They do health screening. Any questions just pm me.:)
They just load the $ on a debit card and you can spend it anywhere.

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
Well today I used all recycled Egg Cartons for my eggs. Even though it takes time to put labels on each egg carton it saved a lot of money. It also helped the environment because If I didn't put the labels on they would be useless.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've turned off the central A/C unit. It is between 65-70 degrees outside and that seems fine to me. I've been trying to let the doors stay open a little so it stays as nice inside as it is outside.

John & I bought one month's worth of groceries at one time yesterday. We spent about $225. We normally would spend over $100 each week, but we have been slowly stretching it out, with once a month being our goal. The only thing we will have to buy will be milk and bread, which we don't have enough room to store 4 weeks worth of at one time.

The last time I went shopping (two weeks ago) we bought the same amount of stuff that we would normally buy to last two weeks, but SO MUCH of it was left! I don't know how, but food is lasting a lot longer than it was when we were going every week. LOL

Cassandra