What did you do to save $ today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I love making a game out of how long I can go between grocery trips. With the garden still going, eggs from our farm and dairy from our cousin's farm, we can go really long if I work hard to come up with meals from what's left in the pantry/freezer.

Wow--I like this plasma idea! What are the pros/cons of donating? Does it affect your health?

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I love making a game out of how long I can go between grocery trips. With the garden still going, eggs from our farm and dairy from our cousin's farm, we can go really long if I work hard to come up with meals from what's left in the pantry/freezer.

Wow--I like this plasma idea! What are the pros/cons of donating? Does it affect your health?
I cant answer for anyone else, but for me:
How it may affect your health? Your body will regenerate its own cells very rapidly, thats why you can donate plasma/blood so often...minor risk of anemia if you are not eating a balanced diet...

Future risk - which is what I have faced as an adult who was a frequent flyer donor as a teen - I need those veins now for surgical procedures, but they're hard to get blood out of now! Alot of scar tissue from being a donor! Also complicated for I.V.s cause my veins collapse like a junkies! Boo Hoo!

Tina/tfpets

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Like a lot of you I tend to save money by avoiding the store :) I like to make a game out of stretching as much as I can.
I did hit the market this morning and bought two packages of chicken breast. They rang up at $17 plus change, after my club card it was $5 and change. I swear I do not know how people pay full price for food!

Tonight it will be BLTs ( fresh pink brandywines out of the garden :) and Quesadillas, tomorrow Chicken tacos & tostadas with homemade refried beans, Wed. leftover tacos, Thurs. roasted chicken & veggies, Friday chicken soup. That $5 worth of chicken is gonna S-T-R-E-T-C-H LOL

I have also been baking breakfast muffins for the kids instead of buying frozen waffles and pop tarts...crappy food I know.

Our house was cold this morning, so a few minutes before I woke the kids I turned on the heater...I told them the heater was on downstairs in an effort to tempt them out of bed. As they come downstairs they pause to enjoy the warm air coming out of the stairway vent... they are then convinced that it is warm downstairs...as soon as they are all down stairs I flip it off and no one is the wiser ;)

We need some wood, but I do not want to pay for it...we have scrounged recently I guess we need to do that again, there is not much around here though and it is a lot of work to find one nights worth of wood. I hate using the darn heater though!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A few years ago, I shopped on impluse, bought stuff that sounded good but turned out I never cooked so it spoiled. It was amazing the amount I wasted.
Things have changed since I retired- now I have more time than money so I think before I buy, use everything I can to prevent any waste and do much less impluse buying.
I wonder if we as a society became more wasteful as there were less full time housewives. It is so much harder when outside work, especially a mentally challenging job, takes up so much of your awareness that you end up cruising through life looking for the easiest, quickest way of doing things.
I can't say too much in praise of those women who raised families, worked and made homemade dinners. I can't even think of how they managed doing that.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like your ideas about making a game out of how long you can go before you go grocery shopping. We've always just shopped on Fridays because it's conveniant for us, but I bet we could stretch that a little and save some money, since there's always a few items in the freezer or cupboard that would make a few more meals. I guess we also like being able to load up on some "goodies" before the weekend, but if we stopped shopping on Friday's, we'd probably not only save some money, but lose a few pounds too! :pop

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats H23!
with a job, that means you are making money instead of spending, you did get to "save money today" LOL