What did you do to save $ today?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Being on here today kept me sane until DH got home from work and I could tell him all about it. One of the best things is that the job is with our LOCAL school system. Less driving, better paying than what I was doing, and the potential to be permanent rather than school year to school year, like what I've been doing! It actually feels like we could get out from under our debt finally and work toward finding a place with more land for more animals. :D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
WOW Pam you hit some good sales for stocking up. I like when I hit the holiday sales for things like evap. milk and such. they don't go on sale often.

yea, I hear ya on "opening the blinds" With alot of sun in NC and I get that direct hit in the front of the house, the blinds are drawn. House seems so darn dark but it keeps the heat down....but yes, I am opening blinds now too. I love the light!! :)
I was paying $.98/ea at Walmart for their brand, so I am very happy about this price & the free ones are great! Usually evap milk is only on sale here for the holidays.
We got rain & hail yesterday & it was very cool all day long. Great leaving the blinds open all day again.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hail?
Ugh I hate that. always worried the car will get damaged. I have junk in my one car garage and the vehicles stay out..LOL...last hail storm punched a hole in my pool liner. big one too, thank goodness for insurance. paid for it! :)

My discount store has the evap. milk for .59 for the big tall can. But expire date is very close. I bought 3 and will use those before I buy more.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It hailed for about 20 mins which is unusual for us. I had just brought in all the laundry from the line too, lucky me! Don had to go out in it though as Richards duck was running around like crazy in it's pen. I think it was scared & did not know what to do. So it joined us here in the hose for a little while till the hail & rain stopped. It is not yet 8 wks old & it was only 2 days old when we got it, so no momma to tell it what to do. Not sure if it is boy or girl yet either. Guess we will find out if & when it starts laying eggs won't we?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA
yea when an egg comes out then you know!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hail?
Ugh I hate that. always worried the car will get damaged. I have junk in my one car garage and the vehicles stay out..LOL...last hail storm punched a hole in my pool liner. big one too, thank goodness for insurance. paid for it! :)

My discount store has the evap. milk for .59 for the big tall can. But expire date is very close. I bought 3 and will use those before I buy more.
Karen,

Can you stock up, open the cans and pour measured amounts into freezer safe containers? Seems it would last at least a year in the freezer....I know you can freeze milk to push out the expire date, don't know why you couldn't with the evap. stuff.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We're knee deep in junk from the attic. I won't have to buy wrapping paper for the next 600 years.

greyhorsewoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Today I finally got a spiral perm. Been putting it off for a couple of YEARS 'cause I just couldn't justify the cost. Well, found out the local high school cosmetology department schedules appointments for outsiders three day a week.

So, how much did my LONG haired spiral cost? $15.00 !! Heck, I splurged and had them do my eyebrows for an extra $1.00. The kids were great, the teachers were right there to oversee everything got done correctly. Looks nice.

Probably saved $80~~ ~~~ ~~ !!