What did you do to save $ today?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yesterday I went no where & left lights off until really needed them, hung out all 5 loads of laundry on the line. No ac, no fans, blinds open!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
So far nothing. I'm home sick which means I don't get paid. Can't wait to have sick day benefits again! Not that I over use them but I won't beat myself up if I do need to take a day.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today I spent $8 for lunch. Barb and me said 'what the heck' and went to the dollar store and lunch. Best $8 spent..LOL...and I bought Nicole her last Xmas gift, a $10 cash register she wanted. ToysRUs had one for $34. So I saved over the other one. $10 is enough for a piece of plastic, pleeeezzee..ya know..LOL

$8 spent, Smile on Mommy's face: priceless..HA HA

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The farmer behind us has just taken don his corn, so I have been saving up my feed bags, and I am going to collect hat the combine missed--to provide treats for my horses and chickens. Saves me from buying cracked corn. I have to ait until it dries up though. It rained all night.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Went to the Salvation Army store in another town and got a denim shirt with a corduroy collar for 99 cents. Went to the new Target and got two small toys for my son for Christmas. Ate lunch at a little diner. Yum! $5 spent there tasted a lot better than fast food!

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Homemade bread with homemade apple butter for breakfast. Homemade yogurt for lunch. Yes, I'm all about homemade lately! :D I don't know how much I'm saving but I can tell it's really saving me a bundle, compared to buying english muffins, crispbreads, or bagels for breakfast and buying little containers of yogurt for lunches. I'm basically dedicating one day each weekend to cooking pretty much everything we need for the week. I think I'm on some kind of high-energy kick. Whenever I'm supposed to be relaxing I find myself pondering what I can do or make homemade next! :weee

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread. Great ideas from everyone. I think the best way to save money is to stay home. My house seems to get clean that way as well. But like everyone else I do need to shop on occasion. I am now starting a cash budget. If I can't get what I need for x ammount I don't buy it. We will see how that goes.

For the last month I have been shopping in my deep freezer. There is usually about a weeks worth of old stuff that should be used. I cooked a turey a couple weeks ago.

I have been buying and using mostly whole foods, grinding my own corn meal etc.. Sprouts in lew of lettuce. Home made yogurt. Not a huge savings but they add up. I need to get back to baking bread.

No furnace for us yet. We like to sleep in cool rooms, I am going to see how long I can keep it off.

We never eat out. Way to much trouble wit 3 kids.

I wish I had someone to barter with. I have another dozen hens who should be laying in a couple weeks. Maybe I can post an add.

:)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I agree--the best ay to save money is to sty home. and hen you do go out, bring a list and stick to it.

I usally shop from my freezer too. I have three freezers full. One chicken,(homegron) another frozen fruit and veggies and bread (localy picked), and the third one deer. I buy 50# bags of potatoes, 20# bags of rice, and stockpile on pasta hen it is on sale. I bake all my on stuff but I occasionally buy bread, bagels, english muffins, make my on yogurt etc, so really hen I go tot the store, it is for flour and baking stuff, milk and eggs. (my hens haven't started laying yet--but it should be soon=better be soon!!!!!) Also for fresh fruit and veggies.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
The farmer behind us has just taken don his corn, so I have been saving up my feed bags, and I am going to collect hat the combine missed--to provide treats for my horses and chickens. Saves me from buying cracked corn. I have to ait until it dries up though. It rained all night.
Now this I am envious of!!!
I would be out there gleaning by moonlight if necessary!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I went to Walmart today & they had Hershey's baking chips for $1.50! :weee & $1.98 for a few types of them too. So I grabbed up a few bags of them. Tomorrow I am going to stop at fry's on our way home from PE as they have nestle baking chips for $1.50 & I have a few coupons for $1 off when you buy 2 bags so a few bags will only be $1 ea!! I buy them this time of the yr to last me all yr for baking & then I never pay full price for baking chips. Got marshmallow creme for $1 the other day too, so it is fudge making time!!!!!!!!! :coolsun