What did you do to save $ today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the bucketful of wisdom, folks!

Today I earned more than I saved, massaging horses. Yes, I usually work on the Monday holidays, it is nice to go to the barns and meet the owners. No one was there today, strangely, so I got done very quickly. When I got home, dh was in the front yard with shovel in hand, turning over a section of lawn where I wanted a new strawberry bed.

You have to understand that seeing this, I almost drove right through the garage door.

My scheming and manipulating rarely works at all, nevermind this well.

I simply made an huge strawberry/rhubarb crisp, and encouraged overeating of said pastry, stating that the crisp would go soggy if left too long, so eat up! While he was eating it, I mentioned casually that homegrown strawberries would go so nicely with the three rhubarb plants I just put in. Alas, it was impossible for me to get to the task of digging a new garden before the strawberry plants were no longer available at the garden centers. I still had all the planting to get done, as well as turning the second half of the newest garden and fencing it, which meant re-wiring the pasture fence first. I still needed to install the gate into the woods for the goats, and put up the last section of fencing on the compost pile, which the chickens are scattering all over. It would just be impossible. (Insert long, dramatic sigh here.)

Why not plant the newest garden, already dug, with strawberries, he countered? Oh, my love, that is where we have trouble with the groundhogs. I would far rather plant rutabagas for the goaties there, than risk sweet and succulent strawberries. Far better to plant them in the front yard, where the woodchuck does not venture. Maybe in another year or two. (Insert long sigh with a slight catch here.) Or maybe three.

The bed is dug, outlined in brick. I have more rhubarb and strawberries for another pastry or even two, so I hope to get him to turn it one more time and add some compost.

I hope some of you ladies reading this benefit from my money-saving experience! :cool:

hungryhensfarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well, it may not be much but I saved $ today by not leaving my yard today. I spent the day enjoying my family and pets rather than riding out the gas in my truck. It's not much but it's a start.:)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I also got the gate into the woods finished, and got Mya and Ginger out there eating like little woodchippers for an hour or so. The coyotes are outside my window singing right now, so goaties will only go out under direct supervision. Should save a bundle on hay over the course of the year, and that is an area I've been wanting to clean up but it has been low on my list. Now I will be forced to get to it.

I also stuffed five more eggs under my broody, as she only had six for one day, I stuck the five cleanest eggs from today under her. In case you missed the post, she went broody on a golf ball and a rose quartz egg, no real eggs!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
hungryhensfarm said:
Well, it may not be much but I saved $ today by not leaving my yard today. I spent the day enjoying my family and pets rather than riding out the gas in my truck. It's not much but it's a start.:)
:welcome Every bit helps! Bet your family and pets.....and you!.....enjoyed a quiet day at home. It can be such a treat!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been soo buisy that I haven't been able to find time to get on line in several days. While I have bben gone you all have been soo buisy saving $$$$$!

Saturday DH and I went to a Bake and Book sale that was held by CIDER, an organization that helps the elderly and infirm. DH is a member of the CIDER board. I had baked a Sheet Pie for the sale that we needed to deliver. While there I checked out the books, there were over 12,000 neatly organized, and found several cook books published by our Public Televisiopn Station that I had wanted. I also found 2 books for quilting which were normally $20 each that I got for $1. What a deal!

Once we left the sale we decided to do some tag saleing. Our first stop was the St Rose of Lima Barn sale, where I got a New Vellux blanket, a salad spinner, a New small oil lamp, 3 New 1 1/2 ring binder note books, and a candy thermometer. I only paid $5 for the lot.

We then stopped at a farm estate sale. The house had been in the family for 5 generations. The owner had died and the children lived in other states and wanted to get rid of all the "STUFF". There were lots of household things that spanned 70 + years. I purchased a small oven for the top of my wood stove for $5, an old door for my hen house for $10, 11 old unusual 1/2 pint (tall and thin) bale canning jars with the rubber rings $1 for all, a 1 gallon pickle jar with a metal lid for 10 cents, a 1 1/2 quart canning jar with rubber ring for 10 cents, a pole saw and limb cutter for $5, and 3 window screens for $2.

Once we left there we stopped at several more tag sales and purchased a tall strong metal utillity rack with 6 shelves for $5 (for canning supplies), canning jars - 11 qts, 12 pts, 12 jelly plus the metal bands for $1, and free stuff like a New garden sprinkler (works better than the ones that I paid $10 for) and 3 curtain rods.

Sunday and Monday DH and I worked around the yard, trying to get variious projects finished. DH made a new door for one of the chicken runs and built two 7 foot poles to support the bird netting that we intend to put over the top of the other run. DH also rototilled the remainder of the garden. I have started planting one of the gardens with broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts. I will plant the tomatoes, peppers, beans etc next weekend. I also weeded the raspberry patch which was over run with weeds.

All in all it was a very profitable and buisy weekend.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow! I am so jealous of that farm and estate sale....and 12,000 books....I could've spent the entire day there! Great savings, vt!

So far today I have been doing regular chores, but also jarred up my dried comfrey, and filled four more trays (lightly, this year's new plantings) with some tastes of spearmint, chocolate mint, peppermint, stevia, and pineapple sage. Gotta go back out and see what else I can take a few sprigs from. Mom will be here in a week and the tea garden is for her, so I would like to give her a little sampler, and see what she likes best so I can focus more on it. Oh, gotta get some scented geranium leaves into trays and into the car. Rain tomorrow and for a few days. Planting weather!

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Isn't it nice how a small, well placed word here and there can get things done that other wise would not even be thunk of???

Freemotion...excellent work on the strawberry bed! He didn't even see that coming did he?

We own 22 acres with about 18 of that leased out as hay production field. There are two places that we can actually do anything with ourselves over the next 3 years (length of lease...)..I have been quietly suggesting (over time) that wouldnt that be a great place to put the stinky buck? If only? One day a couple of weeks ago...hubby said..."Hey, why don't we put up a fence over there, that would make a nice place to rotate the critters to when this pasture gets low." Like it was all his own idea....:rolleyes:

Well, the fence is started, but we are in monsoon season here in Alabama....We started on the fence yesterday...hoped to get in the pickets....it has rained every day for the last couple of weeks...yesterday was no exception...we got corner post in last week, wanted fo finish bracing and pickets yesterday....we got one corner post braced..then the rains began.

Now if I can just get him to put in the other fencing I want for all my free ranging chickens...(he's working on that idea....has actually agreed with me that the area would be great for that purpose...);)

Oh, wait...this topic is on how you saved money today....Well, I hope I can manage to stay home all day today...That is the best way for me to same money...JUST STAY AT HOME!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Saved big at the grocery, simple things, used coupons with sales and didn't buy alot! LOL
I put things back...best way to save.

other than that, just not buying seems to be my best savings. Do it yourself and do without the extra junk!! :)

smithx9

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh yea....I'm making a huge batch of soap today, using up my little bits of this and that oils I had left over from previous batches...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
VT-chicklit, next time you decide to go tag sale shopping TAKE ME! :D That sounds like the most beautiful day of shopping! I really cant think of anything more fun away from my house than finding treasures at tag sales!!:clap

And PRIMO FREEMO! A garden in honor of your mother, how wonderful!

I used my reynolds wrap coupon and saved $4.99!!

I am about to make my very first version of chive blossom vinegar with my own chive blossoms.

We are eating the radishes and their tops tonite for dinner. Tops are going to be sauted with garlic and butter and radishes plainly put into a salad.

I also spent $15 on veggies at the local farmer's market on organic veggies that would have cost twice that at a store. I also supported a local farmer and his nice family...they all work the sand.