What did you do to save $ today?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Taking DD7 out to lunch...rare treat Mickey D's :sick with some good friends....which I used to LOVE by the way....now my mind is tossing around ideas of how to convince her that the hydrogenated oil in the fries is not worth it. Maybe I can talk her into the apples.

I have packed up my own salad to take. Spending money on her lunch but at least I am saving....(money and health!) by making mine.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Ducks, smart move. A value added tax, or national sales tax, is being discussed in the media as a near certainty. This is the only tax we can control (by our consumption). Seed saving, long term food storage, canning, and so on are more important than ever now.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
BTW, Washington is telling us that we will be taxed on everything, now. Good time to stock up on non-perishables. I have enough tp and paper towels until Feb., 2011. I'm on my way to having enough detergent (for clothes), Dawn for dishes, and soap and shampoo for one year.
We already are taxed on the above stuff here in CA. Each region has their own tax rate. When in San Jose, it was 9.25%. Here we are at 8.75% for all non food things. Well, except for take out food - its also taxed at the full amount in CA.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The US VAT will be between 10 and 13% on all goods and services purchased in the United States. There is a consideration that we will use the UK as an example, and theirs is 20%. There is a consideration for the very poor, but it has not been detailed that I can find. The national sales tax is levied in addition to any and all taxes already in place, including federal taxes, state income taxes, in heritance taxes, excise taxes, luxury taxes, gasoline taxes (now 42 cents per gallon), and more than 45 other taxes we pay on various and sundry items and services already.

We also pay:
Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
Capital Gains Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel permit tax
Hunting License Tax
Liquor Tax
Local Income Tax
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Septic Permit Tax
Service Charge Taxes
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Road Toll Booth Taxes
School Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone federal excise tax
Telephone federal universal service fee tax
Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
Telephone state and local tax
Telephone usage charge tax
Toll Bridge Taxes
Toll Tunnel Taxes
Trailer registration tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

This list was made before Health Care Reform.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k in Poland we have 22% taxes and we have all sorts of taxes as well even though they vary in the percentage.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
So far today I am saving by hanging up the many loads of laundry that I am doing. I am also either using very little detergent, homemade detergent or only vinegar in the wash. It depends on what I am washing.

I am making a batch of dogfood, using the turkey SO shot, left overs and garden vegies. I am either going to freeze it, it is chilling in the fridge now. I made turky broth yesterday, I still need to either freeze or can it and also need to cut up and freeze the white turkey meat.

I have been making up a dozen scrambled eggs in the mornings. I put some aside for SO and me and then mix the rest up with leftovers, old bread and yogurt and feed it to the chickens and the dog.

SO transplanted our vegy starts into gallon pots over the last few days. Our land won't be ready for planting for a while, but this way we'll have good sized plants to put in the ground, from our own seeds. We do have to buy soil though, ours doesn't work very well for sprouting seeds in pots. Hopefully it will soon though. Since we have been amending it with organic stuff for a few years.

I cleaned out the rabbits litter pan and dumped it under a peach tree. This is all the fertilizer we give our trees. We usually get wonderful peaches and this year is looking good.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought canning jar flats today at Big Lots. I have been watching for them to come in. I had heard that the price of the flat lids had radically gone up in price so I was concerned. I was able to get these for $1.25 a box. Last year they were $1.00 so they had a 25% increase in price. The $1.25 was still a steal becuse I know of several friends that have paid over $2.00 for flats this year!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My closet desparately needs a makeover. I've been stuck in big hoodie sweatshirts all winter and the rest of my clothes are for working at an architecture firm.,

So here is a start to my new wardrobe. It cost $2.50 for the fabric. I think there is enough to make another shirt too. I finally made the pattern just right so I'll make more whenever I find cheap T-shirt material (which is often!)

4564218996_befcf2e9db.jpg

Latest posts