What did you do to save $ today?

maf8009

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just checked my online bank account with BANK OF AMERICA... for the 1st time in 28 years I was charged $8.95 "fee" :barnie:he for keeping my money in their bank... sooooo I will save $8.95 a month when I close my account ASAP unless they remove that fee... outragous.. MY money in their bank for 28 Y-E-AR-S... :th :hit

Or they will want me to open a savings acct.. or CD.. banks are always SELLING SOMETHING... I am outta here!!!! $8.95 per month saved!!!!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The same thing happened at my bank. I switched, too. If enough customers do that, maybe they'll get a message.

I bought my son one of those one-cup at a time coffee makers for Christmas. The box is pretty big, but I thought he would be able to fit the machine in his luggage without the box when he flies home. Well, he came home with only a carry-on and cannot get it in, so would have to check a bag going back. To save the $25 baggage fee, I thought I'd ship the coffee maker to him. Shipping has to be less than $25? Then I hit on the idea of giving him the money to buy the machine when he gets home, and return the one we have here.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
maf8009 said:
I just checked my online bank account with BANK OF AMERICA... for the 1st time in 28 years I was charged $8.95 "fee" :barnie:he for keeping my money in their bank... sooooo I will save $8.95 a month when I close my account ASAP unless they remove that fee... outragous.. MY money in their bank for 28 Y-E-AR-S... :th :hit

Or they will want me to open a savings acct.. or CD.. banks are always SELLING SOMETHING... I am outta here!!!! $8.95 per month saved!!!!
Good luck with that.

My son, who had BOA since he graduated from high school and entered the work force (just 3 1/2 years ago) was having a hell of a time with all their "fees." Every time he turned around, he was being charged some kind of processing fee or whatever.

He got married this past spring but he and his wife were still maintaining separate accounts at separate banks but he got so tired of all the crap BOA was pulling on him that he and his wife decided to combine their money at her locally-owned bank.

And that's when the fun really started. It took him a good three months to completely cut the cord with BOA. Every time he thought he finally had everything transferred and out of BOA (like his direct deposit), he'd find out he was being charged another "fee."

I bank at a "community" bank and don't have any problems.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's nuts! Makes you want to just :smack someone.

Today, I stopped at McDonalds to grab some cookies to keep me going until I got home and could eat. There was a line at the drive thru, but no one inside. So, I parked, turned off my truck and ran inside. I was out and driving off b4 the person I would have been behind was even done w/their order. So, I saved a little bit by not sitting there w/my engine idling for several minutes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I returned a gift for my son (I was hoping to exchange, but the store was out), so I bought him some clothes on 60% off. I also found kid's winter coats for 75% off, so I bought him a coat and snowpants set that will fit him next year.

I got $137.64 of merchandise for $25.26!!!

:weee

Got 2 pairs of jeans 50% off at Old Navy WITH a gift card that we got free from a Cable promo. And cute jammy/workout pants. $0.00

I got $52.22 of merchandise for $0.00!!!

Oh yeah - I got a survey receipt, did the survey - 10% off my next purchase in the next 3 months. Which makes the rest of my gift card go 10% further.

:weee

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Tortoise, that was a super deal!!

I went to Borders and bought 2 books and a calendar for $12. One book is a gift for the niece that we didn't have anything for, One is a baby book for DD and the calender is for me. We only got 1 calender this year and we need 3 in the household.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:

I went to Borders and bought 2 books and a calendar for $12. One book is a gift for the niece that we didn't have anything for, One is a baby book for DD and the calender is for me. We only got 1 calender this year and we need 3 in the household.
What kind of calendar do you need? I have an extra "planner" style calendar. Do you want it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I hauled in the first three xmas trees for the goats. Stopped to visit with the farmer, and found out that he plans to cut all the remaining trees in the field next to my pasture. He will leave them there for me to bring to the goats, a lot less hauling for me! Yay! They ate 48 trees last winter, and I have two (maybe three, depending on how long the buck is here) more goats this year.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
tortoise said:
FarmerDenise said:

What kind of calendar do you need? I have an extra "planner" style calendar. Do you want it?
Thanks, I need the wall calendars. I will probably find another one at the hardware store, they usually give really nice ones away. I just didn't make there today. We did receive one as a gift. We used to get so many in the mail. Now - nothing. Blame it on the economy.

I just checked the prices on the books I bought. They were each $20 and the calendar -farmer's almanac was originally $9. So I feel good about the purchases I made. We'll get a lot out of it.