What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I haven't spent a dime this year ;)

Today I am NOT COOKING...we have a fridge full of leftovers and I have made the declaration that I am not cooking until the fridge gets "cleaned out." I had hot wings for breakfast :D

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm making bean soup today using a leftover ham bone, dried beans from the store and a bunch of leftovers, and we are heating it over the woodstove. It is really cold today so we will have the woodstove going all day and it should be good soup by tonight. I used leftover stock I saved from when we made a turkey.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I won't tell you how much I saved today....I went on my annual shopping trip with my sister/friend (not really my sis but we view each other that way). We've gone shopping on Jan 1 together for about 20 years now. It is a bargain hunt, a day of telling stories, and a day of eating the greasiest burger we can find (Five Guys...anyone hear of it? YUM!!!)

I can't list everything, but almost everything I got was on my list of needs, like a rug for in front of the kitchen sink, a pair of warm lounging pants for winter chilly days for me, slippers, gloves, and a bunch of whatever-I-could-find-that-I-could-justify! A baster, a small cast iron pan, a stainless steel press pot (we had no way to make coffee for guests), and other doodads like that. Whew, I'm exhausted.....all stuff on sale, with a coupon, etc. Oh, and a gorgeous tie for dh and a lovely pair of Chaps pj's for mom for $11!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hardly got anything done all week, thought I was just tired. Nope, I'm sick. Don't know what it is, but hubby had it last week. Basically, I don't feel sick, I just want to sleep. So, I missed out on sales I wanted to hit. But, yesterday, I did buy some cat food at TSC. I had a coupon that expired for $1.00 off a bag, limit of 2 bags. So, even though I didn't need 2 bags, I got it anyway.

KN had a coupon for buy 3 bags of feed, get 1 free. She couldn't afford to buy 3 bags of chicken feed, nor did she have anyway to get that much feed in her car. So she asked me if I wanted to get 2 bags and we'd split the costs. So that's what we did. I needed feed anyway. I'm hoping this will last until I'm able to grow my own.

I had wanted to make a couple of dinners w/the left over turkey all week long. But, I was just too tired to cook. So today, I took as much meat as I could off the bones. I have 2 recipes that call for 2 cups of leftover turkey or chicken. I'm planning on doubling the recipes so I can freeze the leftovers for quick meals. I not only had the meat I needed for that, but I also had an additional 2 cups. I threw the bones in another bag. When I'm feeling better, and have time, I'll make some soup.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I won't tell you how much I saved today....I went on my annual shopping trip with my sister/friend (not really my sis but we view each other that way). We've gone shopping on Jan 1 together for about 20 years now. It is a bargain hunt, a day of telling stories, and a day of eating the greasiest burger we can find (Five Guys...anyone hear of it? YUM!!!)

I can't list everything, but almost everything I got was on my list of needs, like a rug for in front of the kitchen sink, a pair of warm lounging pants for winter chilly days for me, slippers, gloves, and a bunch of whatever-I-could-find-that-I-could-justify! A baster, a small cast iron pan, a stainless steel press pot (we had no way to make coffee for guests), and other doodads like that. Whew, I'm exhausted.....all stuff on sale, with a coupon, etc. Oh, and a gorgeous tie for dh and a lovely pair of Chaps pj's for mom for $11!
I just experienced Five Guys last fall when we visited Washington DC. It's a good thing there aren't any in Wisconsin, since I could see myself visiting that place way too often.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm making bean soup today using a leftover ham bone, dried beans from the store and a bunch of leftovers, and we are heating it over the woodstove. It is really cold today so we will have the woodstove going all day and it should be good soup by tonight. I used leftover stock I saved from when we made a turkey.
What a *great* idea! Making it over the woodstove you'd have on anyway is a fantastic idea. Thanks for posting this!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the beans burned and it turned out terrible. :sick

There must be a learning curve with cooking on the woodstove.....I'll get there....just give me time.:plbb
PS: I burn things a lot on the regular stove too so I'm a little sensitive.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My boss has a sign in her kitchen that says, DINNER IS READY WHEN THE SMOKE ALARM GOES OFF.