What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
My cucumber plants have given me a whoopin 4 cucumbers TOTAL this year, so I scored a bushel (2 FULL brown paper bags) of cucumbers, great pickling size, for $20. Lady even threw in dill. Got the garlic free from Dad! Now, I just to get some more jars. Have a call in to someone who listed some on Craigslist, so I'm hoping I score there. Otherwise - gasp - I'm going to go have to go buy more. (If I do, hope that Dollar General still has some, because they were $3/dozen cheaper than anywhere else, even that horrible store - Walm(something).
WalMart had them cheaper than the DG here. $7.96 a dozen for the reg. mouth quarts. I got two cases yesterday. Plus I had a coupon for free lids D:

S

sunsaver

The reason i've never posted on this topic before is that most days i don't go anywhere or spend any money. It's hard to do anything to save money when you have no income. I have solar power for tv, internet, and hot water. I have wood for cooking and heating, (mostly felled wood or scrap lumber, pallets, etc.) I've got LED lights, tv, internet, big garden forest, a year's supply of food, and a library nearby. Everything that i need. What did i do to save money today? Absolutely nothing.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
The reason i've never posted on this topic before is that most days i don't go anywhere or spend any money. It's hard to do anything to save money when you have no income. I have solar power for tv, internet, and hot water. I have wood for cooking and heating, (mostly felled wood or scrap lumber, pallets, etc.) I've got LED lights, tv, internet, big garden forest, a year's supply of food, and a library nearby. Everything that i need. What did i do to save money today? Absolutely nothing.
BUT, you save money every day, so sometimes that gives the rest of us motivation to do more! Congrats on a job well done.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
sunsaver said:
BUT, you save money every day, so sometimes that gives the rest of us motivation to do more! Congrats on a job well done.
I am right there with ya, sunsaver. I try to run my errands once a week, or once every 2 weeks if possible. As we live 10 miles from town....and I dislike shopping anyways, it isn't that difficult of a challenge. I was laid off back in 09 anyway, from the best job I had ever scored. Now, I am living with fiance, on his 1 income. I have always been frugal anyways, so, pinching pennies is 2nd nature to me.

My latest frugal epic ...using rainwater for laundry. Now, I even recycled it. I have 2 clean 32 gallon trashcans by the washer. In the one, I put the washwater....washing the least dirty first...then finish with the dirtiest. In the other, I put the rinse water. Now, the other day was my first attempt. I got 3 loads from the dirty washwater/rainwater barrel, before I had to add some of the cleaner rinse water to it. When the water was too dirty to wash any more clothes, I let it drain into the yard as graywater recycle. Then, I started the next loads with the fresher rinse waters, finishing them up with it. I let it all run down the drain to the yard...ad only carried them in initially in buckets. Now, I am doing this because we have had barely any rain in Midlands SC, and our well ran dry twice in the 12 months we have been here. Therefore, I am trying to reduce my well water consumption. Which is in itself a challenge as we have 4 veggie gardens, and 3 flower gardens and numerous potted plants and veggies. And, chickens now.
I have found this BYC forum since I know nothing of chickens. I have learned alot from everyone so far. Chickens and etc. :D

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hit a couple of thrift stores. Actually found a pair of jeans in my size for $3.25 that are in great shape. Found a real waffle iron for $2.75. and a bread machine to make dough for $4.00. 2 paper back books for $1.25. I thought I did pretty good. Wish I could have bought some canning jars at the grocery store. $7.oo a dozen seemed pretty fair to me. If I could just sell a few things I have up for sale, I could.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
took the kids picking at the pick-your-own farm, got alot of veggies & herbs, spent under $10 and enertained the kids for 2 hours.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I used a bunch of coupons to get 35% off of items we use all the time.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We found a yogurt maker at the Goodwill today for $6.99, and it looks new! No more buying yogurt while I have a freezer full of goat milk anymore!

I also got a pair of adorable rubber boots, you know the kind with flowers? They are pink and I love them and they were six bucks.

And a real leather Hard Rock Cafe backpack/purse, lovely condition, for 12 bucks. I bet new it was over 100.

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Way to go Savingsdog!!!

I saved money today making bread! I made the fresh bread in 5 mins a day from Mother Earth new! It was wonderful & a hit with the whole family! Last night we made homemade butter from cream, oh it was yummy!

Gladys Rabbit

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
On the way home from church we decided not to stop at our favorite produce stand because we have vegetables in the garden that we could be eating.