What did you do to save $ today?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rhoda, what a stroke of luck! With a little effort and time on your part, you have provided meals for your family! Way to go!! Not to mention feathers for your pillow! High Five!! :thumbsup

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did my usual, two loads of pressure canning (3 kinds of soup) and 2 quarts of home made yogurt plus two batches of bread completely from scratch (home-ground wheat).

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have managed to stay away from any of the after Christmas clearance sales.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I took in a horse. Yeah...that doesn't sound right at all, but I am getting the feed bill covered for her, and figure i will have a good bit of manure for the garden before very long at all :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I took in a horse. Yeah...that doesn't sound right at all, but I am getting the feed bill covered for her, and figure i will have a good bit of manure for the garden before very long at all :D
Is she ridable? What kind of horse is she? I wanna hear all the details! :caf

I needed a couple of strips of wood for the inside of my tack shed. They cost around $8.00 each! That would have been $16.00. But, they had furring strips for $0.99. So, I bought one of them and ripped it w/my new saw. Figured if it didn't work, I wasn't out that much. Well, it worked! It's not a nice looking as something I could have bought, but as appearance wasn't that important, I saved $15.00!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Deb she's less than 2 yrs old and looks like an Arabian/QH maybe..the owner doesn't know either but that's our best guess.

I cooked some free asparagus for dinner to go with our free deer meat and free taters :lol: We did have a few other things with so the entire thing wasn't free, but it was VERY low cost, especially for such a HUGE meal! Last night we had free catfish with free taters cut into fries :D I'm on a roll!!!! ;)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Went shopping today and took a whole bunch of plastic grocery bags w/me. For each one that I use, I get a whole 2 cents off my grocery bill. So, I saved a whole dime! :lol: Then, because I seemed like a nice person, he gave me a senior discount. When I asked about it, I found out that they give this discount Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Then, I found out that I actually am old enough to get it. :ep He was shocked when I told him how old I was because he didn't think I was that old. So, I save $1.10 in there. I stopped and got $10.00 of gas on the way home. It was $3.179 there. Got down the road just a bit, and it was $3.359! So, I got a bit more gas for my money.

Chantilly

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am just fascinated by the way you all are living. BarredBuff, how do you can chickens? I assume that you cook the meat first before canning it. Do you flavor it then, too? Is it packed in broth or water or something else? How long can you safely use it after it's been canned? And why not just freeze it? Wouldn't that be simpler?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
The problem w/freezing is power outages, especially if you have no generator or can't get gas for it. Look at the people who lost power from Superstorm Sandy. They were w/out power for quite some time, and it was almost impossible to get gas in that area.