What did you do to save $ today?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Time to make more laundry soap as I dumped the last of the 5 gallon bucket into my jug--still have plenty of supplies from when I first started several years ago, this has got to be one of the biggest money savers we do :)

Also don't need to get groceries for the next several weeks (other than milk) because we are so stocked up that the freezer is full and we need to eat down a bit before we add anything.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Good grief that is crazy expensive salad! I got some in the greenhouse for pennies :ep I hate eating out too, for various reasons.

I saved money today by digging out some of my compost and making a TON(almost) of potting soil to start some more seeds in, and then planted a bunch of stuff :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eating out is ridiculous. We get a gift card or two every year, so we go. $25 on a gift card, but $65 for the freaking meal for the two of us! For $40, I could feed the family of four for several days, breakfast, snack, lunch and dinner!

For saving, I didn't do much today, but I did duct tape the basement door. Sounds silly, but ealier this week, I put the feed sacks against it and today, scooping feed, I didn't feel a draught (draft?) But full blown WIND coming through. So I pulled everything away, duct taped all the gaps and put the feed back. The whole house has gotten warmer from it. With it being this cold and windy, the furnace couldn't keep up and keep the house warm!

I also bought zip ties yesterday. $1.06/100 zip ties at the Dollar Tree. I banded up the quail I'm keeping and all of the serama cockerels. It's $7/25 bands, plus shipping, not to mention that I would have to buy seven different sizes to band all of the birds I need to band, PLUS pay shipping. Savings? About $50.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip this year, but the hotel was going to break my budget! $1,000. Yikes! I met someone in the area on Facebook. I'm bartering for insider travel information since she is very close to the event. I also met a local online that is planning on the same trip, so I might have a roommate. I think I saved $750. No lie!

:weee

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
moolie said:
Time to make more laundry soap as I dumped the last of the 5 gallon bucket into my jug--still have plenty of supplies from when I first started several years ago, this has got to be one of the biggest money savers we do :)

Also don't need to get groceries for the next several weeks (other than milk) because we are so stocked up that the freezer is full and we need to eat down a bit before we add anything.
Same here. We have 2 freezers full, plus the pantry, so if we can just tolerate a bit of a lack of variety we can keep our grocery bill exceedingly low.

We were at an airport over lunch Sat and skipped the food. My kids were upset, but at $10 for 1 burger and order of fries, I just couldn't do it.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yesterday for dinner I made 9 rolls of Kimbap at home for about $8 and that much would cost you about $4 to $5 each in the Chinese/Japanese/Korean restaurant that I love to go to.
and I have enuf rice and nori to make another 9 later this week with other fillings. (thinking about going all western and making egg/bacon/cucumber/cheese and spinach)
I was a bit worried that i didn't have a bamboo roller to help make them but found a wonderful sub-my littlest silicon baking mat was perfect and for my first time rolling them-only one had a loose end that kinda fell apart when I cut it.
I even got hubby to eat them.. only thing I forgot when shopping-no green wasabi powder(or tube of it premade) to dab on top! :( so I made a bit of mayo with horseradish in it.. and a tad of siracha. it worked well.
Now to get into the big city and buy some kombu/bonito and miso for miso soup to go with it..

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
moolie said:

Same here. We have 2 freezers full, plus the pantry, so if we can just tolerate a bit of a lack of variety we can keep our grocery bill exceedingly low.

We were at an airport over lunch Sat and skipped the food. My kids were upset, but at $10 for 1 burger and order of fries, I just couldn't do it.
I hear ya on that! I hate to buy food if we go to a Phillies game. And, the only time we ever go is if someone gives us tickets!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I saved money by letting someone else buy my gas for a change :D It was just $20, but every penny counts!!!

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We can't afford to get a pickup, but we need to be able to haul stuff. So, we shopped around and found a small trailer that will suit our needs perfectly, and it's priced for us to afford. However, when looking for a hitch...good golly, they cost nearly as much as the trailer! So, brilliant DH headed for our local junkyard and came home with one that, for just a bit of fiddling with will work perfectly...for $45! woohoo!