What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I squeezed 100 ish limes and put another 6 pounds of onions in the dehydrator...I was crying :p

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
You're able to turn them out on grass already, Deb??? SO jealous!
Yep, but I don't have a real big field. :( So, it's not like they're getting a ton of grass. Even so, I'm planning to do rotational grazing.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Our chickens have been outside a few weeks also. Doesn't look like there's grass, but the yolks are darker yellow and DH says the feed consumption has gone down significantly. Yay!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Hubby changed our cable plan today. That will save us about $50/month! And, I doubt very much that we'll miss what we're losing.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Got the new cable equipment last night. It took hubby a bit to figure out how to set it up. At first, he was very unhappy w/it. But, once he figured it out, the picture is just as clear and as sharp as it was when we were paying the higher price.

We also changed our car insurance co. We've had nothing but problems w/this company since we got them, and had already planned on switching when the policy was up. We get a notice from them that they were canceling us! They did us a big favor. We'll save a few hundred at least w/the new company!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good deal, Deb. It's a good idea to shop around for insurance every couple of years, IMO. One time we got a policy that saved us almost $300 a year for the same coverage.

Chickens free range all the time unless the weather is really bad. They get some fermented scratch in the mornings (with cooked egg or lentils, or whatever for a bit of protein). Now that's its warmer, I'm having days of no grain, but am giving them stuff from the freezer that's past it's prime. I found a big bag of frozen peas that tasted really old. Some things just can't be saved. :/ Today's chicken can had chopped lettuce, whole wheat spaghetti (that we didn't like), egg shells, peas. It's only one large coffee can of grain that I saved, but what the heck.

I won't ferment again until next winter. From now on, regular scratch grains will be tossed into the hen's front yard. What they don't eat will grow into more food for them - or it did last year. Now with the processing of scratch grains, it makes me kind of wonder..... Last year their front yard was thick with wild sunflowers, milo, volunteer tomatoes, broom, wheat and who knows. It was the only green area around here and offered shade for the hens. It was also noticeably cooler.

Oops - /babbling.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Marianne, it's interesting that your scratch grew so well. I also let some scratch grains grow and while they did get green and tall, the seed head that developed never made mature seed. I wondered if it was some GMO issue...

Didn't mean to go off topic so I'll talk about how I saved money. I bought a truck last week - it had issues so I took it back. That saved me a whole bunch of money!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Made mayo and ranch dressing. Made 5 gallons of laundry soap yesterday. Ya know, I figure that saves at least $50....I'm calling it good :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Marianne, it's interesting that your scratch grew so well. I also let some scratch grains grow and while they did get green and tall, the seed head that developed never made mature seed. I wondered if it was some GMO issue...
I wonder if this years scratch might not do anything. I am lucky as whatever the farmer's are growing around here, I'll have some of that in my little field the next year as they save some of their own seed...except for soybeans. Azure Standard sells some organic grains in 40# bags that aren't priced too bad, considering everything. Damn Monsanto anyway.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Coupon shopping day 53.3% off. I'm happy with that :D