What did you eat from the garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight for dinner we had a ham roast from the last pig we butchered and Red Ripper peas from the garden! YUM, nothing like eating a meal that consists solely of food that you produced yourself. :drool

What is a red ripper pea? I think I may have had this before but it was called Mandy. They were cooked with a few ham hocks and served with side of fried cornbread. Mighty tasty too. It's more of a red bean than a pea is that right?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is a red ripper pea? I think I may have had this before but it was called Mandy.
Yep - they are called lots of things and Mandy is another name for them. I think they're technically a "cow pea" but we call 'em black-eyed peas usually. Very hardy in my part of the country where it's usually hot and dry. I need to pick another big mess of 'em tonight and I haven't even shelled the batch I picked a couple days ago.

peas-southern-big-red-ripper_MED.jpg

"70 days. [VA and NC heirloom] Good flavored table pea with 10 in. pods containing as many as 18 large peas per pod! Use fresh or dried. Reddish-green pods are borne high and are easy to see in the foliage. Resistant to very hot, dry summers. Vigorous, sprawling vines. Very popular with our Texas customers."

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Those look and sound nice, FEM.

I had another ripe strawberry today and DS picked one as well. I need to go have a look at the peas and see how they are getting on, they must be getting ready for first pickings now.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've had strawberries~just a few, but very sweet~rhubarb, sugar snap peas, pak choi, green onions.

Will soon have raspberries but everything else is just starting up. Still some time before the romaine and napa cabbage are fully mature enough to pick, but that pak choi grows like it's on steroids and we've added it to our weekly grand salad chop, as we did the sugar snap peas.