What did you eat from the garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked the last of the butternut squash after squash bugs set in and killed the plants. I guess our yard hussies (chickens) couldn't keep the squash bugs under control. We have away a lot and eat a lot also. This is what's left after butternut squash burnout. Got some baby ones that are the right size for grand kids 😍

Dirty side up to air dry 😜
IMG_20210913_224445842.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those look great. My butternut plants didnt come up.

I was late planting squash but have more time for them to grow still. The pie pumpkins are turning color and I'll be able to pick them soon as well as the hubbard type squash. The buttercups didn't do as well but there are some under all those leaves.

The carving pumpkins have almost doubled in size in the last week. I can't remember if it was a white or grey. They are still yellow. I can't remember the variety, just wanted something different and the chickens will eat them this winter.

Im still picking zucchini and cucumbers. Corn is almost ready. I ran a line about 4 feet out from the fence and stopped the deer from eating at those.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those look great. My butternut plants didnt come up.

I was late planting squash but have more time for them to grow still. The pie pumpkins are turning color and I'll be able to pick them soon as well as the hubbard type squash. The buttercups didn't do as well but there are some under all those leaves.

The carving pumpkins have almost doubled in size in the last week. I can't remember if it was a white or grey. They are still yellow. I can't remember the variety, just wanted something different and the chickens will eat them this winter.

Im still picking zucchini and cucumbers. Corn is almost ready. I ran a line about 4 feet out from the fence and stopped the deer from eating at those.

I honestly thought it at least if felt to me like I sowed the seeds late myself. But I must not have. they came up along with summer squash and zucchini. Now my acorn squash came up and had tiny squash on the vines then came the squash bugs and that put an end to that. I didn't spray anything on the garden this year. Nor do any soil admendments, I didn't even water it and still had a good garden. Deer kept eating my sweet corn down to the dirt, rabbits and chickens and wild birds, mainly quail and doves had their way with the tomatoes. Nothing touched the bell peppers or onions.

I'm fixing some of that this weekend putting up a fence around the garden and I'll also add a couple of runs of electric wire around the top. This year was new garden, so I mainly just wanted to see if the ground in the old cow pasture was fertile or not, it is fertile 👍

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did look up what could cause that. Harvesting too early came up. Did you leave them until the stems were dry before cutting?

I've been waiting impatiently on my pie pumpkins for the plant to die back and stems to dry but they are taking their sweet time about it.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I ALWAYS pick pumpkins too early lol 😂. They are alway ornamental though. That leak is kind of creepy.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with creepy and getting creepy(er). I'm gonna cut it open, see what's going on and give it to the chickens.
IMG_20210918_194851733.jpg