What did you eat from the garden today?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday we had a dish my wife called southwest chicken. Pretty much chicken covered in homemade salsa and baked. But it all came right here from our property!

More and more i find our plates have more of our own food on them. Sometimes 2/3s sometimes all of it. Our grocery bill last month was under $200 for the 6 of us and that was mostly coffee and lunch stuff.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is a red ripper pea? I think I may have had this before but it was called Mandy.
Yep - they are called lots of things and Mandy is another name for them. I think they're technically a "cow pea" but we call 'em black-eyed peas usually. Very hardy in my part of the country where it's usually hot and dry. I need to pick another big mess of 'em tonight and I haven't even shelled the batch I picked a couple days ago.

peas-southern-big-red-ripper_MED.jpg

"70 days. [VA and NC heirloom] Good flavored table pea with 10 in. pods containing as many as 18 large peas per pod! Use fresh or dried. Reddish-green pods are borne high and are easy to see in the foliage. Resistant to very hot, dry summers. Vigorous, sprawling vines. Very popular with our Texas customers."

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've had strawberries~just a few, but very sweet~rhubarb, sugar snap peas, pak choi, green onions.

Will soon have raspberries but everything else is just starting up. Still some time before the romaine and napa cabbage are fully mature enough to pick, but that pak choi grows like it's on steroids and we've added it to our weekly grand salad chop, as we did the sugar snap peas.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Had a few raspberries today...one was tart, the other sweet. Hope to keep increasing these vines across the bottom of the garden until we can get significant amounts of berries for eating raw and also for making the occasional pie...maybe even raspberry jam.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I ate our first vine ripe tomato yesterday, a small cherry tomato. And we've been eating a few blackberries. Blueberries are growing, but if they've been blue then something's getting them before I am. And we've had large green apples off of our oldest apple tree. We picked our first two peppers, and a yellow squash yesterday.